Clash with a training session in ManchesterEdit
So it appears there is a clash with a training session in Manchester. Like Mike, I am also down for giving training. I don't think the event has its own page yet, but I have gathered the details are:
|date||Sunday 23 November 10am-4pm|
|location||Spaceport X, 24/26 Lever Street, Manchester, M1 1DZ|
|type||A Girl Geeks event, similar to this one that Bazonka and I did last year.|
This makes me wonder if we can coordinate in some way. A few options:
- Change the date of one of the events
- Some of the meet-up people agree to hang around till past 4 so that trainers (and some trainees) can join them
- Change the location of the meetup to make the above more doable
- it's not a ridiculous walk from Lever St to Princess St but maybe a pub in the Northern quarter would help.
- I have a few ideas for pubs if people think this is a good idea, but also open to suggestion.
- Change the start time of the meetup so that people don't have to hang around as long.
- Go for a total merger. Some of the people who were going to the meetup can help out with the training and then we all go to the pub and meet anyone else who didn't fancy helping with the training.
- There are several trained trainers already, but having a few people who are just on hand to help individuals during the big editing session in the afternoon would be great. No particular training required, just a bit of wiki experience and patience.
All the above is just some ideas. Feel free to shoot them down or come up with other ideas.
- Good idea to link the two together somehow. I'm sorry, but I didn't know about the Girl Geek event when I arranged the meetup, or of course I'd have avoided the clash.
- It's probably going to be easier to change the date of the meetup than the training, but I won't be able to attend any alternative date (it's not all about me though).
- If we keep both on the Sunday, then I'm sure some people will still be in the pub after the training has finished. Changing the pub venue to somewhere nearer is a good plan for this reason. And a later start to the meetup wouldn't hurt, but (from my point of view) not too late because I've got other plans. These plans will also rule me out of attending any merged event, but don't let me hold you back if that's what you want to do.
- My preference is to have a meetup starting at 1.00 - 1.30 not too far from the training, and then the trainers/trainees can come along when they're done. If all the original meetup folk have already left, then that's no big problem - the pub will still be there.
- Bazonka (talk) 20:35, 13 November 2014 (UTC)
- My top suggestion for an alternative venue is Port Street beer house. Very nice beer. More expensive that a Weathersoons but well worth it in my opinion.
- If you want somewhere you can eat, there is Trof on Thomas St. But the beer is so nice on Port Street, I would recommend eating at home (or one of the nearby take-aways) and then going to Port Street.
- Yaris678 (talk) 11:29, 17 November 2014 (UTC)
We now have an event on the WMUK site: wmuk:Wikimedia Girl Geek Dinner/Manchester November 2014. Yaris678 (talk) 09:14, 19 November 2014 (UTC)
Delay start to 4 pm?Edit
I note that Bazonka is a maybe. I also know that Leela is intending to assist with the training, along with me and Mike.
To avoid Clem waiting in a pub on his own, would it be a good idea to delay the start of the event until the training ends at 4 pm?