Talk:CIS-A2K/Events/Geographical Indications in India Edit-a-thon
Between 25 January and 10 February 2016, CIS-A2K is going to organize an edit-a-thon to celebrate India's republic day. The goal of this edit-a-thon is to create and improve Geographical Indications articles.
The edit-a-thon ended on 10 February 2016. But who can stop you from creating and enhancing more articles
This page is for discussions related to the CIS-A2K/Events/Geographical Indications in India Edit-a-thon page.
Please remember to:
There is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Geographical_Indications_in_India too --KartikMistry (talk) 22:04, 7 January 2016 (UTC)
- Yes, we are following this page, and this will be added in resources. -- -- Tito Dutta (talk) 08:29, 8 January 2016 (UTC)
Are we going to be working on only those topics that already have the The GI tag? Alas Goa has only Fenni! But I am sure there are items on the Konkan coast that need to be added/apply for a GI TagOutofindia (talk) 18:45, 9 January 2016 (UTC)
Regarding addition of articles to the Punjab SectionEdit
"For an article to be considered as part of the Geographical Indications in India Edit-a-thon." What does this mean to be considered as a part of the Geographical Indications in India Edit-a-thon?--Satdeep Gill (talk) 18:34, 18 January 2016 (UTC)
Content translation tool can be usedEdit
Content Translation tool can be used to easily translate articles. It is available as beta feature in all wikis. Some communities already used it for editathon and created nice results. Santhosh.thottingal (talk) 06:47, 20 January 2016 (UTC)
- It is okay to use content translation in my opinion, but one needs to check grammar, prose style, and standard of translation. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 06:06, 21 January 2016 (UTC)
- Obviously. There is no machine translation to Indian languages. So translator is writing from scratch, use other tools(automatic link adaptation, image adaptation, reference adaptation, WYSIWYG editor etc. Just like editing article. --Santhosh.thottingal (talk) 10:12, 21 January 2016 (UTC)
Hi! Tito and others. Happy to see almost all Indian languages on one platform. Very exciting to enjoy the out of box idea of concentrating on Handicrafts, Foodstuffs,Agriculture, Textile. Kudos to the Creative Minds. (Cuisines, dress, festivals can also be included). I wish to see Urdu community too on the list. Since Urdu Wikipedians are there almost in all states, hopefully articles can be created in that language too. --Drcenjary (talk) 11:02, 22 January 2016 (UTC)
Western Punjabi WikipediaEdit
GI data sourceEdit
If you can provide GI data source link for each item separately or all at one place, it would be helpful to the editors to complete the work in short time of a week (the edit-a-thon period).--Rajasekhar1961 (talk) 12:02, 23 January 2016 (UTC)
- Hello, thanks for creating the article. Currently we can not tell whether we can include this article. We'll discuss and decide soon after discussing with the communities. Please add created/expanded articles here, I have done the first one for you: see here. The edit-a-thon starts in next 24 hours. Happy editing. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 09:43, 24 January 2016 (UTC)
This is trapEdit
This is great. All hard works will done by Indian Volunteers. But credit will enjoy by CIS and money will come easily to CIS next year through this project. Why should we (volunteers) success the plan of CIS. CIS employees are paid and volunteers are not Jayantanth (talk) 09:55, 24 January 2016 (UTC)
- Bengali Wikipedians have objected against the edit-a-thon in the local event page. CIS representatives are requested to comment there. Thanks. -- Bodhisattwa (talk) 11:21, 28 January 2016 (UTC)
- Hello User:Jayantanth and User:Bodhisattwa, CIS-A2K being a catalyst programme bounced this idea with the community and Wikimedians joined on their own will. Their contribution will be recorded on wiki and we can never attribute that as our work. Furthermore, this being an online-only event is a zero/low cost model and we have been asked by the community in the past to focus on more low cost models. Please share your inputs if you think this event could be done in a different way to attain greater results. May be that is something we could implement in the future.
I have noticed that you have shared your views on Bengali Wikipedia too. People who don't know Bengali (which includes everyone except me in CIS-A2K too) won't be able to understand and participate there. Could you please post your comments here as well in English? If it is okay for you, I may go ahead and translate. For over-all feedback on CIS-A2K, please use CIS-A2K/Appreciations and Feedback. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 17:18, 29 January 2016 (UTC)
Please share your ideas here:
- These articles may also be created or expanded during this edit-a-thon
- Geographical indication (en:Geographical indication
- List of Geographical Indications in India (en:List of Geographical Indications in India)
- Geographical Indications of Goods (Registration and Protection) Act, 1999 (en:Geographical Indications of Goods (Registration and Protection) Act, 1999) -- Tito Dutta (talk) 07:21, 27 January 2016 (UTC)
Share your ideas below.
Need an alternative free image for Template:Infobox geographical indicationEdit
We are unable to use GI images as Kannada wiki does not have locale file upload privilege. Please suggest an alternative image source for the same. Also, Kannada language to be changed to "kn". Omshivaprakash (talk) 20:11, 27 January 2016 (UTC)
- Hello Omshivaprakash, yes you are right, Kannada should be Kn, it was a mistake, I have fixed it. Thanks for pointing it.
About images I do not know any site that has a large collection of GI images under free licenses, a few suggestions a) search on Wikimedia Commons (of course you know it), you may also check en:Wikipedia:WikiProject India/Guide/Free media resources. I'll inform you if I get more information. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 20:51, 27 January 2016 (UTC)
Protected Geographical Indication (PGI)-LogoEdit
As per summary the logo is intended for Protected Geographical Indication logo - used on any product that has been approved by the European Commission as a food with this particular type of Protected Geographic Status. Please don't use it in all India related GI articles.--Mrutyunjaya Kar (talk) 05:51, 30 January 2016 (UTC)
- Hello User:Mkar, whether we can use this logo because of any EU law, that's we can discuss. But, en:File:PGI-Logo.svg seems to be a non-free image, and hence can not be used freely. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 10:25, 30 January 2016 (UTC)
Revert the title of the article!Edit
- Hello User:Viswaprabha, I personally don't know much about this topic. If you are confident please move yourself, writing your rationales in edit summary. You can also start a WP:RM. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 14:37, 31 January 2016 (UTC)