Research:Analyzing WLM grant reports using Dedoose
The purpose of this project was to try out Dedoose, a cross-platform app for analyzing quantitiative and qualitative data, to see if it would be a good tool to support impact measurement of WMF grants.
This case study included eight Wiki Loves Monuments and Wiki Loves Earth grants. Both quantitative (# of photos, # of photos integrated on wiki, # of participants, # of new users) and qualitative measures (events, media coverage, social media posts, lessons learned, quotes) were highlighted using a set of "codes". Using the multiple data analysis options, we were able to compare photo contests across countries, budget, grant type, and geography (Global North vs. Global South).
- Code creation is subjective
- Need large sample size
Best use casesEdit
- Specific program/project (photo competitions, edit-a-thons, etc.)
- Large sample size
- Comparing across budget size, type of grant, countries
- Understanding quality of grant reports (are they comprehensive?)
- As part of a larger grants program impact analysis