Requests for new languages/Wiktionary Central Sierra Miwok
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wiktionary Central Sierra Miwok|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||csm (SIL, Glottolog)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Central Sierra Miwok||Language name in English|
|Language name||Saclan||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q2944443 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Directionality||no indication||Is the language written from left to right (LTR) or from right to left (RTL)?|
|Project name||"Wiktionary" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wiktionary talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||File:...||This needs to be an SVG image (instructions for logo creation).|
|Default project timezone||USA/Pacific||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example, a Wikisource would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk", "Author", "Author talk".|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
I would like to help preserve the Miwok languages especially Central Sierra Miwok, a hard to navigate limited dictionary already exists online but I believe adding Central Sierra Miwok would be greatly beneficial to the Wikimedia Community as it is a critically endangered language, I plan on contacting the various tribes and obtaining audio recordings if I can and also researching at the University of California for their recordings and seeking out native speakers, possibly this would be the beginning of a Wikipedia project and perhaps we will reach out to duolingo, I would love to work on children's/beginner's books too but first and foremost I would like to start a wiktionary so everyone interested in the revival of Miwok has the opportunity to connect with it on the best free dictionary available and hopefully many people will help. I know that Lo Ximiendo already created a babelbox for CSM and hopefully as I learn more I can begin to translate it a bit. I strongly believe that wiktionary can defragment this beautiful language and preserve it as part of world heritage.
- support I support this project as there is an available dictionary from UC Berkeley to use as a guide and also some information on proper IPA transcribingBaymiwuk (talk) 19:19, 9 July 2018 (UTC)
- @Baymiwuk: Just a couple of questions, since we do have other wikis in languages indigenous to North America here. First of all, are you sure that you're not running afoul of copyright law by using definitions from this dictionary? Second, have you added definitions for words/phrases in these languages on any other Wiktionary (the English Wiktionary, perhaps)? Third, if the definitions themselves are in these languages, do you have any provision for expanding such a site beyond just dumping the contents of the dictionary you have in mind onto a site like this? Mahir256 (talk) 00:56, 10 July 2018 (UTC)
- Yes I am sure, since I am not copying and pasting, I don't believe it is copywritten, an words cannot be copywritten, they are part of world heritage. I am simply entering the words with a basic definition and adding a picture where available. I have added all of the ones I have added to the CSM wiki incubator test firstly to the English wiktionary and including the translations section of the English equivalent. I am in the process of contacting the Miwuk people and searching online for more words beyond the Yosemite/Cal Berkeley dictionary as a further source.Baymiwuk (talk) 07:07, 10 July 2018 (UTC)