Requests for new languages/Wikiquote Bengali
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikiquote Bengali|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||bn (SIL, Ethnologue)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Bengali||Language name in English|
|Language name||বাংলা||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q9610 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Community||Aftab (N), Kayser Ahmad (N), Moheen Reeyad (N), Nahid Sultan (N), এম আবু সাঈদ (N), ZI Jony (N), মোহাম্মাদ ইসমাইল (N)|
You can optionally list your user name if you are an active contributor to the test wiki. Add "N" next to your name if you are a native speaker of this language.
|Project name||উইকিউক্তি||"Wikiquote" in your language|
|Project namespace||উইকিউক্তি||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||উইকিউক্তি আলোচনা||"Wikiquote talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||yes||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||File:Wikiquote-logo-bn.png||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)|
|Default project timezone||UTC||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
Bengali language has huge numbers of famous quotation by famous Bengali writers.
Arguments in favourEdit
- 4th largest language by number of native speakers.
- War fought for this language.
- National Language of Bangladesh and language of the state of West Bengal, India.
- Support There are many quotes in Bengali literature. Vibhijain 10:30, 20 May 2011 (UTC)
- Agree Bengali has thousand years old history. Since 15th century this language are being using by authors in literature. 1st Nobel prize winner of Asia is Rabindranath Tagor, whose literature medium is this Language.--Aashaa (talk) 11:47, 12 March 2012 (UTC)
- Support --Aftabuzzaman (talk) 23:52, 16 September 2014 (UTC)
- Strong support - notable literary tradition.-MacRusgail (talk) 16:30, 14 December 2014 (UTC)
- Strong Support many quotes in Bengali literature. so it's need for Bengali community. --Kayser Ahmad (talk) 10:30, 4 March 2016 (UTC)
- Strong Support The quotation resources are much more enriched in Bengali language. So giving strongly requirement support. --Sharif uddin (talk) 10:15, 20 March 2016 (UTC)
- Strong Support There are many active users in Bengali Wikipedia and resources for quote in Bengali language are huge. So, the project most likely will be successful.--Sajid Reza Karim 17:03, 20 March 2016 (UTC)
- Strong Support--Masum-al-hasan (talk) 05:12, 21 March 2016 (UTC)
- Strong Support--Sfic (talk) 05:18, 21 March 2016 (UTC)
- Support ~ Moheen (talk) 11:43, 21 March 2016 (UTC)
- Support ~ Rahul amin roktim (talk) 16:31, 23 March 2016 (UTC)
- Strong Support--Iqsrb722 (talk) 10:31, 27 March 2016 (UTC)
- Support-- Mohammed Galib Hasan (talk) 17:37, 16 April 2016 (UTC)
- Strong Support---Ahmsaqib (talk) 06:23, 20 July 2016 (UTC)
- Strong Support--- Ahm masum (talk) 19:17, 25 December 2017 (UTC)
- Support in principle; it's very easy to just translate quotes as well. Mahir256 (talk) 19:46, 6 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support Regards, ZI Jony (Talk) 18:10, 17 October 2018 (UTC)
- Support Major world language, plenty of potential as a project. Rubbish computer (Talk: Contribs) 12:45, 22 October 2019 (UTC)
- FYI Localisation is a precondition to final approval. Given that only 72% of the most important messages have been localised at this time, it falls short from what is expected of second projects for a language. Expected is localisation for all MediaWiki messages and all the extensions used in the WMF. GerardM 12:28, 5 January 2008 (UTC)
- Great progress can be observed with 100.00% 95.07% 78.62% for the relevant statistics :) Thanks, GerardM 07:03, 4 April 2008 (UTC)
- Currently 76.34% of the MediaWiki messages and 55.91% of the messages of the extensions used by the Wikimedia Foundation projects have been localised. Localisation of these messages is a requirement before your request is finally assessed. This is the recent localisation activity for your language. Thanks, GerardM 13:46, 12 November 2008 (UTC)