Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Southern Uzbek
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikipedia Southern Uzbek|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||uzs (SIL, Ethnologue)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Southern Uzbek||Language name in English|
|Language name||اوزبیک تورکچه||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q1066787 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Project name||ویکیپدیا||"Wikipedia" in your language|
|Project namespace||ویکیپدیا||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||ویکیپدیا سوزلش||"Wikipedia talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||File:Wikipedia-logo-v2-uzs.png||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)|
|Default project timezone||Asia/Kabul||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
- The Southern Uzbek language is a Turkic language with an official standing in a number of northern provinces of Afghanistan (2004, Constitution, Article 16(2)) and is currently regulated by the Ministry of Education of Afghanistan
- It is distinct from the Uzbek language, which is used in Uzbekistan, and differs from it in phonetics, grammar, vocabulary (use of much more loan words from Afghan Persian) and even uses a totally different writing system, namely the Arabic script. The over 4 million speaker of that language cannot understand the Cyrill and latin script and simply converting them into an Arabic script would be totally inaccurate due to the above given reasons
- The amount of literature in the Southern Uzbek language, which is enriched by the classical writings in Old Uzbek (Chaghatai), is increasing more recently due to educational improvements in Northern Afghanistan and the translation of Arabic, Persian and English writings by native Speakers
- There are several online news and community pages for speakers of Southern Uzbek like BBC Uzbek
- Seems like a good idea. I must admit that I know next to nothing about the Southern Uzbek language. 188.8.131.52 23:11, 23 June 2018 (UTC)