Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Simple Chinese
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikipedia Simple Chinese|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||zh-simple (SIL, Glottolog)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Simple Chinese||Language name in English|
|Language name||简易中文||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||NA||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Directionality||no indication||Is the language written from left to right (LTR) or from right to left (RTL)?|
|Project name||维基百科||"Wikipedia" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wikipedia talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||File:Wikipedia-logo-zh.png||This needs to be an SVG image (instructions for logo creation).|
|Default project timezone||Shanghai (GMT+8)||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example, a Wikisource would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk", "Author", "Author talk".|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
I really like the idea of the Simple English Wikipedia, so I decided to create a Simple Chinese Wikipedia, Chinese is the world’s most widely spoken language and this will be a very good resource for people learning Chinese TheChampionMan1234 (talk) 03:35, 3 July 2012 (UTC)
- Not necessarily. See mailarchive:wikimedia-l/2011-June/113053.html and e.g. Requests for new languages/Wikipedia French Simple 3. Note that the user is not referring to Simplified Chinese (zh-hans). If there is actually a standard for basic Chinese texts, then this may be considered valid. PiRSquared17 (talk) 14:19, 31 July 2013 (UTC)
- I guess there won't be such a thing unless the requestor shows it exists. --MF-W 14:21, 31 July 2013 (UTC)
- Strongly oppose per above as b:zh:Wikijunior:维基儿童 already writes simpler Chinese for younger children, though instructional rather than encyclopedic.--Jusjih (talk) 01:37, 8 October 2017 (UTC)
I also would benefit from a Simple Chinese wiki. Chinese is hard to learn and it would be great to not have to dive deep into it. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) 7:03, 10 June 2018 (UTC)