Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Sgaw Karen
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikipedia Sgaw Karen|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||ksw (SIL, Glottolog)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||S'gaw Karen||Language name in English|
|Language name||ကညီကျိာ်||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q56410 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Directionality||LTR||Is the language written from left to right (LTR) or from right to left (RTL)?|
|Project name||ဝံၣ်ကံးဖံဒံာ်ယၤ||"Wikipedia" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wikipedia talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||File:Wikipedia-logo-v2-ksw.svg||This needs to be an SVG image (instructions for logo creation).|
|Default project timezone||Asia/Yangon||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example, a Wikisource would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk", "Author", "Author talk".|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
- merged from Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Karen:
There are approximately 4-7 millions native speakers of the Karen language so it deserve to have its own language edition of Wikipedia. There are native speakers of Karen who will be willing to contribute to help develop the Karen language that have its own writing system and its own language. The Karen language should be recognize for it's existence. For your information, The term "Karen" is an umbrella term that have many branches of individual languages, however the one I'm requesting is the "S'gaw" which is the largest sub-group of the Karen languages. When you use the term "Karen", usually they refer to S'gaw Karen. Sometime the language code for Karen is "kar" but in Wikipedia it is refer to "Karen languages" which is not specifically S'gaw but since S'gaw Karen are usually refer as Karen unlike other sub-groups of Karen languages their language code could also use as "kar".
Arguments in favourEdit
- Support Support S'gaw Karen is spoken by aroud 4 to 6 millions native speaker around the world and majority of them are spoken in Karen State, Burma.There are news articles websites that are in Karen (Sgaw) language and also newsletter that are in Karen language in the United States. —unsigned by ayekyar80 11:45, 8 July 2017.
- Support Support I highly support for Karen language to have a wiki page becasue there are millions of them so they deserve to have a wiki page with their own language(Sgaw Karen)—unsigned by Pawtoo2 06:11, 10 July 2017.
- Support Support Sgaw has at least 4 millions native speaker, maybe even over 10 millions now including me. I will be working to edit articles in Sgaw Karen language. I support this request —unsigned by jaeminlovetaejoon 11:45, 11 January 2018.
- Support Support I highly support for Karen language to have a wiki page becasue there are millions of them so they deserve to have a wiki page with their own language(Sgaw Karen).Wonnral (talk) 13:58, 31 October 2019 (UTC)