Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Rapa Nui
Rapa Nui Wikipedia
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikipedia Rapa Nui|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||rap (SIL, Ethnologue)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Rapa Nui||Language name in English|
|Language name||Arero rapa nui||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q36746 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Community||mJohnsson (NP), Der Künstler (P), SoleilTuki (N)|
You can optionally list your user name if you are an active contributor to the test wiki. Add "N" next to your name if you are a native speaker of this language.
|Project name||"Wikipedia" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wikipedia talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||File:...||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)|
|Default project timezone||Continent/City||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
Helping to retain the language of an ambitious, proud group of people.
Arguments in favour
- Due to a tragic history, much of the Rapa Nui culture has been lost. The people speak the language, but since the island officially is under the Chilean government, Spanish is mostly used in offices, when writing or doing errands. The Rapa Nui people need a forum where they can actually use their own language, instead of Spanish.
- The people's pride of their cultural heritage and their will to fight for remembering their roots would easily make Rapa Nui Wikipedia grow quickly, but mostly once created, because most of the Rapa Nui don't speak english.
- Support -- As a Rapa Nui and native speaker I am excited at the prospective of expanding this opportunity to those who have the love and desire to learn more about Rapa Nui --Soleil Tuki 23:59, 24 November 2009 (UTC)
- If there are some native speakers willing to contribute, yes, I support. --Wisconsus 17:51, 5 April 2010 (UTC)
- Support Chabi 06:44, 4 September 2010 (UTC)
- Support. --虞海 (Yú Hǎi) 09:54, 6 December 2010 (UTC)
- Capsot 12:03, 6 December 2010 (UTC) Though I don't know your language, feel free to contact me if you ever need a hand. I wish you, your language and culture the best of luck! May your contributions generate the need for other speakers to participate!
- Supp. --U.Steele 19:58, 29 July 2011 (UTC)
- Apoyo Rapanui es una linda isla con una hermosa cultura y si hay un hablante qualquier idioma criticamente en riesgo de desaparecer debe de tener una wikipedia.Luciferwildcat (talk) 03:51, 31 March 2012 (UTC)
- Strong Support --Jugydmort (talk) 14:35, 5 December 2012 (UTC)
- Support-MacRusgail (talk) 23:06, 11 December 2014 (UTC)
- Support -Arthurteb303 (talk) 15:48, 26 December 2015 (UTC)
- Support Alpinu (talk) 02:09, 9 January 2018 (UTC)
The localisation of the "most used" messages has been started at translatewiki.. it is currently at 0.85%. Full localisation is required before the other requirements are considered. Thanks, GerardM 08:55, 25 November 2009 (UTC)