Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Mizo
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikipedia Mizo|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||lus (SIL, Glottolog)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Mizo||Language name in English|
|Language name||mizo||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q36147 - item has currently the following values:||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Directionality||LTR||Is the language written from left to right (LTR) or from right to left (RTL)?|
|Links||J.H. Lorrain's Mizo Online Dictionary||Links to previous requests, or references to external websites or documents.|
|Project name||"Wikipedia" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wikipedia talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||This needs to be an SVG image (instructions for logo creation).|
|Default project timezone||Continent/City||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example, a Wikisource would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk", "Author", "Author talk".|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
|submit Phabricator task (includes everything automatically, except additional namespaces/settings)|
The Mizo language is an official language in Mizoram, known as the Lushai Hills District till 1954, and which is now a state in the Indian Union. It is also natively spoken in the Manipur, Tripura, Meghalaya, Assam, and Nagaland states of India, Chin State of Myanmar and the Chittagong Hill Tracts of Bangladesh. Mizo language is studied in all levels in all Schools of Mizoram State, upto Ph.D. degree in the Mizoram University and Manipur University.
The language of the Mizo comes under the Kuki-Chin branch of Tibeto-Burman. The numerous clans of the Mizo had respective dialects, amongst which the Lushai dialect, originally known as Duhlian or Lusei (by the Mizo themselves), was most common, and which subsequently became the official language of the State (Government of Mizoram) and the lingua franca of the Kuki-Chin people.
You may want to know more...
Population (2001): 888,573; (2003) 921,970.
Arguments in favour
- Support Support: Native speakers of Mizo have the competency and willingness to contribute to this project in the long-term. Hence the Mizo language ought to be given the opportunity and priviledge to have its own language edition of Wikipedia. Magazines, dictionaries and grammar have been published in this language . --Jose77 00:25, 15 June 2009 (UTC)
- Support Support --Chabi 13:06, 15 September 2009 (UTC)
- Currently there is no localisation effort underway at translatewiki.net. A first project will only be granted when the most used messages are localised. When you update at translatewiki.net, you are likely to notice the newly localised messages the next day. Please ask for the addition of languages supported at translatewiki.net.. Thanks, GerardM 09:13, 5 October 2009 (UTC)