Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Meänkieli 2
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikipedia Meänkieli 2|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||fit (SIL, Glottolog)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Meänkieli||Language name in English|
|Language name||Meänkieli||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q13357 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Directionality||LTR||Is the language written from left to right (LTR) or from right to left (RTL)?|
|Project name||Wikipedia||"Wikipedia" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wikipedia talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||yes||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||This needs to be an SVG image (instructions for logo creation).|
|Default project timezone||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example, a Wikisource would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk", "Author", "Author talk".|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
Since April 1, 2000, Meänkieli became one of the five nationally recognized minority languages of Sweden. It is most commonly used in the municipalities of Gällivare, Haparanda, Kiruna, Pajala and Övertorneå. Today, grammar books are being written in Meänkieli, as such, the Bible is being translated into Meänkieli; there is drama performed in Meänkieli and some TV programs are being made in Meänkieli.
Arguments in favourEdit
- Support: Native speakers of Meänkieli have the competency and willingness to contribute to this project in the long-term. Hence the Meänkieli language deserves to be given the opportunity and privilege to have its own language edition of Wikipedia along with the existing Baltic-Finnic languages such as Estonian, Võro and so on. --Jose77 23:19, 10 May 2010 (UTC)
- Support: The Wiki test project seems to be a good one, so I support this Wikipedia edition. Kanzler31 16:15, 15 July 2010 (UTC)
- Support Support Chabi 06:33, 4 September 2010 (UTC)
* Support --U.Steele 20:10, 29 July 2011 (UTC)
- Support It is very important to have a Wikipedia in Meänkieli. It is comparable with the Bible in the former oral languages of Europe, which the intelligent man Martin Luther understood in the 16th century. He fired an social, economic and later on an industrial revolution. Today is the same thoughts needed. Wikipedia in the people's oral languages
- Support --N KOziTalk 12:41, 25 October 2011 (UTC)
- Support Support--Erdemaslancan (talk) 09:13, 8 July 2012 (UTC)
- Please note that voting does not have any effect. --MF-W 20:42, 31 July 2012 (UTC)
- Strong Support Meänkieli may be linguistically considered as a dialect on Finnish but it is very essential to notice that the speakers form an unique ethnos as they have been separeted from other Finns because of Treaty of Fredrikshamn. Their culture is developed into a different direction during these 200+ years. That has also affected to their language. --184.108.40.206 01:23, 9 March 2017.
Strong support - Meänkieli is now officialy considered a language and this wikipedia already has altmost 2k articles so why should it not get accepted???? —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Palmtree222 (talk) 2019-10-28 16:35
- Don't support Meänkieli is completely mutually intelligible with Finnish and is basically just a Northwest dialect of it. We don't have a Scanian Wikipedia separate from the Swedish one, or a Geordie Wikipedia, do we? This is politically motivated nonsense. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) 28 Nov 2010
- Oppose. Very strange articles and only one active user.--U.Steele 03:18, 21 September 2011 (UTC)
- U.Steele, you listed "Very strange articles" as your argument against the creation of a Meänkieli Wikipedia. Could you develop your idea and post some examples? --Iketsi 17:43, 25 September 2011 (UTC)