Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Livvi-Karelian
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikipedia Livvi-Karelian|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||olo (SIL, Ethnologue)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Livvi-Karelian||Language name in English|
|Language name||Livvinkarjala||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q36584 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Community||Onegaborg (1), Kaftaj (N), Ilja.mos (N), Mashoi7 (N), Kkirillov (1), Ghiutun (1)|
You can optionally list your user name if you are an active contributor to the test wiki. Add "N" next to your name if you are a native speaker of this language.
|Project name||Wikipedii||"Wikipedia" in your language|
|Project namespace||Wikipedii||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||Wikipedien paginat||"Wikipedia talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||File:Wikipedia-logo-v2-olo.png||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)|
|Default project timezone||Europe/Moscow||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
|submit phabricator task (includes everything automatically, except additional namespaces/settings)|
This proposal is to start new language version of Wikipedia for Livvi-Karelian (Olonets Karelian) language (ISO 639-3 code - olo). It was already created earlier a version on Proper Karelian language that has it own ISO 639-3 code - krl and is quite different from Livvi-Karelian. These 2 languages have different dictionaries as well as schoolbooks and can't be considered as one language. Futhermore in disscussions in originally common Karelian version of Wikipedia it was already decided that it will support only Proper Karelian texts. That's why we think that it's better not to mix 2 languages though standing too close but also different from each other. Onegaborg (Talk) 19:46, 18 February 2015 (UTC)
Arguments in favourEdit
- Support I'm thinking we need a separate wiki for Livviks. Using one wiki for different Karelian languages is contrary to the rules of Wikimedia--Kaftaj (talk) 17:32, 20 August 2015 (UTC)
- Support Very many users in this language/ 20 000--Kaiyr (talk) 06:42, 27 August 2015 (UTC)
- Support Wikipedia in Livvi-Karelian is an important tool for the revitalization of this language. There is a lot of speakers and potential users of the data. Wikipedia develops language and it's vocabulary and gets language easy of access for users around the world. --Ilja.mos (talk) 23:31, 01 October 2015 (UTC)
- Support --Jugydmort (talk) 22:50, 4 November 2015 (UTC)
- All most-used interface messages have been localised into the project's language. There's also many articles and contributing users (incl. native speakers). It is ready to be opened for today. --Ghiutun 10:06, 19 February 2016 (UTC)
- Support --Rehmat Aziz Chitrali 13:58, 12 March 2016 (UTC)
- Support Users of Incubator Livvi-Karelian Wikipedia did a lot to show their activity. Orbwiki107 (talk) 21:44, 5 June 2016 (UTC)
- Support. There is active project at Incubator. I don't understand why LangCom doesn't approve this proposal. --Danvintius Bookix (talk) 18:10, 17 September 2016 (UTC)
- 100% of the most-used interface messages have been localised into Livvi-Karelian language.
- What we should do next? Now we have more over 1000 articles and ready for creating our own pages. - Ilja.mos (talk) 21:19, 21 February 2016 (UTC)
- The status is still 'submitted'? Such slow steps could demotivate the community. --Ghiutun 19:24, 3 June 2016 (UTC)
- Just to remind you, this project is awaiting content verification.--Whispy Woods (talk) 20:44, 16 August 2016 (UTC)