Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Krio
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikipedia Krio|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||kri (SIL, Ethnologue)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Krio||Language name in English|
|Language name||Krio||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q35744 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Project name||Wikipedia||"Wikipedia" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wikipedia talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||yes||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)|
|Default project timezone||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
Krio enjoys a massive speaking population of 4 million speakers It is the lingua franca of Sierra Leone and is spoken also in the Gambia, Senegal and Guinea. Due to the great linguistic influence English has had many other Creoles and pidgins exist and Krio can cater to many of their communities across West Africa and the Carribean.
Arguments in favourEdit
- Krio has been used in education for over 200 years and formally studied in schools for about 5
- Support: Native speakers of Krio are willing to contribute to this project in the long-term, hence this project has the potential to flourish like the other Creaole language Wikipedia editions such as Papiamentu, Hatitian Creole etc. Therefore the Krio language ought to be given the opportunity and priviledge to have its own language edition of Wikipedia. --Jose77 00:09, 3 September 2008 (UTC)
- Support: Millions of people speak this language and sometimes it is substituted it for English. There are many people willing to contribute to this wiki if it is created. Ukabia 12:02, 6 February 2010 (UTC)
- Support --Chabi1 (talk) 13:43, 3 July 2014 (UTC)
- The localisation of the MediaWiki most used messages is a requirement.. GerardM 21:25, 3 April 2008 (UTC)
- Currently 36.80% of the most used MediaWiki messages have been localised. Localisation of these messages is a requirement before your request is finally assessed. This is the recent localisation activity for your language. Thanks, GerardM 12:10, 12 November 2008 (UTC)
- Currently 36.46% of the most used MediaWiki messages have been localised. Localisation of these messages is a requirement before your request is finally assessed. This is the recent localisation activity for your language. Thanks, GerardM 19:28, 6 February 2010 (UTC)