Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Khasi
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikipedia Khasi|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||kha (SIL, Ethnologue)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Khasi||Language name in English|
|Language name||khasi||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q33584 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Project name||Wikipedia||"Wikipedia" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wikipedia talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||yes||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)|
|Default project timezone||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
Khasi is an Austro-Asiatic language spoken primarily in Meghalaya state in India by the Khasi people. Khasi is part of the Khasi-Khmuic group of languages, and is distantly related to the Munda branch of the Austroasiatic family, which is found in east-central India.
Arguments in favourEdit
- The Khasi language has about 865,000 speakers and it is a living language
- 'Support' Like the above post, the Khasi language is a living language and almost has 1,000,000 speakers, so there will be some major contributors.--Kanzler31 03:07, 11 July 2010 (UTC)
- 'Support' As Wikmedia wants to spread Wikipedia in India in other languages than english, a Khasi version fits in this program. Quote from a press release: "India is projected to have 192 million Internet users by 2015, and we believe there is enormous potential for Wikipedia to serve all those people, whether in English or their native languages." --Hadi 15:19, 15 August 2010 (UTC)
- 'Support': Native speakers of Khasi have the competency and willingness to contribute to this project in the long-term. Hence the Khasi language deserves to be given the opportunity and priviledge to have its own language edition of Wikipedia along with the existing Austro-Asiatic languages such as Khmer and Vietnamese. --Jose77 09:53, 17 August 2010 (UTC)
- Support appears to be suitable, but not sure of internet usage in this region.-MacRusgail (talk) 16:15, 14 December 2014 (UTC)