Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Brahui
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikipedia Brahui|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||brh (SIL, Ethnologue)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Brahui||Language name in English|
|Language name||Bráhuí||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q33202 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Community||Imdadb (NP) Rabian.ab (NP),Ibrahim khashrowdi (NP)|
You can optionally list your user name if you are an active contributor to the test wiki. Add "N" next to your name if you are a native speaker of this language.
|Links||||Links to previous requests, or references to external websites or documents.|
|Project name||"Wikipedia" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wikipedia talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||File:...||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)|
|Default project timezone||Continent/City||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
A good team is available at the University of Balochistan, Quetta to contribute in the project.
Arguments in favourEdit
- Support: I can't find a single site on the internet written in Brahui. Wikipedia will be the first, and therefore provide a much needed area for the preservation of this peculiar language. --18.104.22.168 11:13, 25 June 2010 (UTC)
- Support: Native speakers of Brahui have the competency and willingness to contribute to this project in the long-term. Hence the Brahui language deserves to be given the opportunity and priviledge to have its own language edition of Wikipedia along with the existing Dravidian languages such as Tamil, Telugu, Kannada and Malayalam. --Jose77 02:10, 29 June 2010 (UTC)
- Support: Have recently gained attention (User:Bangulzai & User:Imdadb are creating articles and traslating the interface pretty well).--Kanon6996 17:29, 1 August 2010 (UTC)
- Support Support Chabi 06:21, 4 September 2010 (UTC)
- Support Incubator has many voluminous and goodly formatted articles. --ɴõɴəχүsƚ 10:04, 1 November 2010 (UTC)
- Support I being a Pakistani language Wikipedias Administrator strongly recommend the project of Brahui Language Wikipedia and offer my services for this project. But I point out that the vast majority of Brahui use the Perso-arabic script to write their language.--Rehmat Aziz Chitrali Editor Khowar Wikipedia 10:04, 22 July 2011 (UTC)
- Support only. --Midnight Green 07:46, 3 August 2011 (UTC)
- support, indian language versions are all quick successesLuciferwildcat (talk) 03:30, 31 March 2012 (UTC)
- Support --Ibrahim khashrowdi (talk) 15:24, 20 April 2015 (UTC)
- Support A Wikipedia in Brahui is totally viable! --22.214.171.124 16:13, 20 September 2016 (UTC)
- Brahui can be written in the Arabic script (but difficult to type on keyboard) and the Latin script. Nevertheless, if these statements by native Brahui speakers are true, then perhaps the Latin script would be more convenient. Should both scripts be localised or just the latin one? --Jose77 07:55, 3 July 2010 (UTC)
- @Jose77: Brahui books are available in arabic script. There is no difficulty in typing Brahui in arabic script as one imminent linguist and keyboard expert namely Rehmat Aziz Chitrali has invented a multi-language text editor that can be used to type in as many as 40 languages (including brahui) of Pakistan at a single plateform free of cost. The brahui letters are the same like Urdu letter but one letter i.e. ݪ is unique character which is available in the software of Rehmat Aziz Chitrali --Mirajbibi (talk) 16:43, 27 March 2016 (UTC)