Requests for new languages/Wikinews Western Panjabi
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikinews Western Panjabi|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||pnb (SIL, Ethnologue)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Western Panjabi||Language name in English|
|Language name||پنجابی||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q1389492 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Project name||Wikinews||"Wikinews" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wikinews talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||yes||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)|
|Default project timezone||Asia/Karachi||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
The Western Panjabi language is spoken by more than sixty million million people in the Montgomery and Gujranwala districts of the Punjab Region, Pakistan. While most Western Panjabis today are bilingual in Urdu, the Western Panjabi language is distinct from Urdu and belongs to the Lahnda macrolanguage family. The Western Panjabi edition of Wikipedia has over ten thousand articles, and it's importance may grow in the near future.
Arguments in favourEdit
- Support Support: Native speakers of Western Panjabi have the competency and willingness to contribute to this project in the long-term. Hence the Western Panjabi language deserves to be given the opportunity and priviledge to have its own language edition of Wikinews along with the existing Western panjabi Wikipedia. --Jose77 22:52, 22 January 2011 (UTC)
- Unnecessary for now. No need to create any more low-managed Wikinews languages. --George Ho (talk) 05:03, 27 April 2017 (UTC)