Requests for new languages/Wikinews Urdu
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikinews Urdu|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||ur (SIL, Ethnologue)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Urdu||Language name in English|
|Language name||اردو||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q1617 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Community||Rehmat Aziz Chitrali (NP), User:Azamishaque (NP), عثمان خان شاہ (talk) (N)|
You can optionally list your user name if you are an active contributor to the test wiki. Add "N" next to your name if you are a native speaker of this language.
|Project name||"Wikinews" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wikinews talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||File:...||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)|
|Default project timezone||Continent/City||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
It will be useful to Urdu internet user to report news from worldwide. Approximately, there are 270 million of speakers worldwide. I strongly feel it deserves its own Wikinews.--Chowdhury 18:42, 22 December 2008 (UTC)
Arguments in favour
- Support Support Its a good initiative and i positively recomends Urdu wikinews, Azamishaque 11:04, 24 December 2008 (UTC)
- Support --Mirzali
- Support -- Currently, the Urdu Wikipedia has more than 64,000 articles and more than 80 users are working. I recommend that Urdu Wikinews may kindly be started. - Rehmat Aziz Chitrali 07:30, 13 September 2012 (UTC)
- Support It'll contribute Urdu Wiki some actuality.--Kafkasmurat (talk) 12:03, 2 November 2014 (UTC)
- Support -- As we can see Urdu Wikipedia has more than 64000 articles in January,2015. So I think This project should be approved because there is a large number of Urdu audience .--عثمان خان شاہ (talk) 11:09, 15 January 2015 (UTC)
- Support-- The project should be started, it will grow fast in Domain instead of test-project.--عثمان خان شاہ (talk) 17:29, 2 February 2015 (UTC)
- Support It is 100% eligible to have its own Wikinews. thanks TheStrayDog (talk) 12:56, 10 July 2017 (UTC)
- Oppose Currently, the Urdu Wikipedia has less than 10,000 articles and only 66 users with edits or log actions last month. I don't think it's enough to sustain activity on Wikinews in this language. While certainly not every user of Wikinews contributes to Wikipedia and vice versa, still the practice shows that Wikinews are much less active than Wikipedias in their languages. Another difference is that on Wikipedia you can create a stub and leave it, and then someone will stumble upon it and improve it. But on Wikinews there must alway be a certain number of fresharticles, otherwise the project will be useless. I don't believe the there are enough Urdu users to keep the proposed project alive. MaxSem(Han shot first!) 19:15, 22 December 2008 (UTC)
Reply to User:MaxSem: There are more than 64,000 articles on Urdu Wikipedia.--عثمان خان شاہ (talk) 11:05, 15 January 2015 (UTC)
- Oppose--Reality006 23:17, 3 February 2010 (UTC)
- Oppose. Wikinews is a project which requires constant update and new articles should be reviewed and published immediately, which in fact requires a large no. of editors. There is no proof that it will be able to overcome the hurdles faced by the English Wikinews. Please take a look at an article published in the Wikipedia Signpost here. - Jayadevp13 (talk) 05:48, 19 July 2013 (UTC)
- Oppose --Doostdar (talk) 05:59, 29 March 2017 (UTC)
- Currently 20.04% of the MediaWiki messages and 1.68% of the messages of the extensions used by the Wikimedia Foundation projects have been localised. Please help us help your language by localising at Betawiki. This is the recent localisation activity for your language. Localising the "most used messages" first has the biggest impact on the usability of Wikis in Urdu. Thanks, GerardM 08:08, 16 January 2009 (UTC)
- Currently 25.8% of the MediaWiki messages and 1.1% of the messages of the extensions used by the Wikimedia Foundation projects have been localised. Localisation of these messages is a requirement before your request is finally assessed. محبوب عالم and Rachitrali have been translating a bit in the past 5 months, but at the current rate, it will take years to meet the requirement. Cheers! Siebrand 23:19, 14 September 2009 (UTC)