Requests for new languages/Wikinews Sicilian
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikinews Sicilian|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||scn (SIL, Glottolog)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Sicilian||Language name in English|
|Language name||sicilianu||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q33973 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Directionality||no indication||Is the language written from left to right (LTR) or from right to left (RTL)?|
|Project name||Wikinews||"Wikinews" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wikinews talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||yes||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||This needs to be an SVG image (instructions for logo creation).|
|Default project timezone||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example, a Wikisource would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk", "Author", "Author talk".|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
The Sicilian language is spoken by nearly five million people in Southern Italy, Malta, and the global Italian diaspora. Largely considered a separate language from Italian, it was very influencial in the medieval period, especially during the reign of Emperor Frederick II (Frederick I of Sicily), who was born and raised in the Kingdom of Sicily, spoke the language, promoted it (Creating the Sicilian school of poetry), and had a Sicilian mother. While most Sicilians today are bilingual in Italian, it is distinct from other Romance languages and has millions of native speakers. The Sicilian edition of Wikipedia has nearly 13,000 articles, and with an autonomist as President of Sicily, it's importance may grow in the near future.
Arguments in favourEdit
- Support Support The wikipedia in Sicilian already contains in its main page, two updated sections with news from Sicily and Italy and from the world. These sections have been updated by several different users, so there is a critical mass to create and maintain a wikinews in Sicilian. The wikipedai also contain an archive of news from November 2004 to nowdays. --Gmelfi 18:44, 24 October 2008 (UTC)
- Support Support The idea to carry out the wikinews in sicilian is optimal. I am in agreement for this initiative.--Santu 20:45, 24 October 2008 (UTC)
- Support Support Thank you to those who have put this proposal forward. As has already been mentioned by Gmelfi (a bureaucrat on scn.wiki), we have kept up a regular news update on the Sicilian langauge wikipedia since late 2004 when scn.wiki was first created. A complete archive is available since that time, as such, this initiative seems but a small step from where we find ourselves today on scn.wiki. pippudoz - (waarom? jus'b'coz!) 10:02, 26 October 2008 (UTC)
- Support Support --Ilaria 06:31, 11 November 2008 (UTC)
- Support Support Yes, I agree with this proposal. Best regards. --Sarvaturi 15:47, 23 November 2008 (UTC)
- Support Support looks fine :)! good work --.snoopy. ✉ 14:31, 8 January 2009 (UTC)
- Support Support Mikhailov Kusserow (talk) 04:29, 25 February 2009 (UTC)
- Support--Reality006 23:15, 3 February 2010 (UTC)
- Support Support --Goro! 12:39, 5 June 2010 (UTC)
- Support Support Shooke 13:53, 10 July 2010 (UTC)
- I had the idea to propose such a project today, but an anonymous user independently preeded me of a few hours!! He or she probably forgot to log in on meta. --Gmelfi 18:44, 24 October 2008 (UTC)
- Currently 100.00% of the MediaWiki messages and 96.04% of the messages of the extensions used by the Wikimedia Foundation projects have been localised. Localisation of these messages is a requirement before your request is finally assessed. This is the recent localisation activity for your language. Thanks, GerardM 10:56, 12 November 2008 (UTC)