Requests for new languages/Wikinews Amharic
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikinews Amharic|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||am (SIL, Glottolog)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Amharic||Language name in English|
|Language name||አማርኛ||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q28244 - item has currently the following values:||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Directionality||LTR||Is the language written from left to right (LTR) or from right to left (RTL)?|
|Links||Links to previous requests, or references to external websites or documents.|
|Project name||"Wikinews" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wikinews talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||This needs to be an SVG image (instructions for logo creation).|
|Default project timezone||Africa/Addis Ababa||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example, a Wikisource would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk", "Author", "Author talk".|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
|submit Phabricator task (includes everything automatically, except additional namespaces/settings)|
Replace this line with your opening argument in favor of the new project.
Arguments in favor
- Support Support Official Language of Ethiopia, nation of over 80 million population
- With the only native African script
- With a need for a more open and democratically created news outlet
- Due to prosecution in the country most of the free press media is closed and journalists are in jail or in exile. This journalists could have a stable medium to practice their trade in a free environment.
- thriving wikipedia and wiktionary community (the wiktionary though shows only few hundred entries the group has concentrated mainly in developing a working computer glossary to help with localization of computer related translations. In that regard there are more than 3000 entries already translated. see .)--Teferra 22:54, 16 April 2008 (UTC)
- Support Support It looks like I never voted here, although I did provide a banner for this project (below).... I think there is nothing wrong with starting small and working towards greatness. Hopefully this site can have some quality news for the Amharic speaking communities of the world. Nesnad 13:59, 15 October 2009 (UTC)
- Oppose Oppose Please make first the Amharic Wikipedia much larger before starting a News Spin-off. --Jeroen 02:06, 21 July 2008 (UTC)
- Oppose Oppose Mikhailov Kusserow (talk) 04:07, 25 February 2009 (UTC)
- This request is already eligible.. There are no valid reasons to deny this project once its requirements are met. Thanks, GerardM 21:22, 15 October 2009 (UTC)
- Oppose--Reality006 23:02, 3 February 2010 (UTC)
Currently the status for Amharic is "am አማርኛ 100.00% 83.17% 3.80%". This is an EXCELLENT starting point. We are also quite happy to pay for the completion of the localisation of the extensions used by the Wikimedia Foundation. Please check Betawiki for details. Thanks GerardM 13:24, 26 May 2008 (UTC)
- Currently 80.58% of the MediaWiki messages and 4.65% of the messages of the extensions used by the Wikimedia Foundation projects have been localised. Please help us help your language by localising at Betawiki. This is the recent localisation activity for your language. Thanks, GerardM 10:29, 27 July 2008 (UTC)
- I wasn't sure how to say anything, but I provided a localized version of the WikiNews logo. It's not perfect maybe, but it's more language specific. (It uses the Amharic ዊ (wi) in the logo etc) I didn't know how to replace it in the incubator, so I just provided a link on the test page. I think I did that in the wrong way? Anyway, the image is ... Welcome Ethiopia Wikinews! If there are any comments, direct them to my username on English Wikipedia. Cheers, Nesnad 15:09, 9 October 2008 (UTC)
- Currently 69.45% of the MediaWiki messages and 3.10% of the messages of the extensions used by the Wikimedia Foundation projects have been localised. Localisation of these messages is a requirement before your request is finally assessed. This is the recent localisation activity for your language. Thanks, GerardM 11:06, 12 November 2008 (UTC)
- Currently 77.72% of the MediaWiki messages and 4.43% of the messages of the extensions used by the Wikimedia Foundation projects have been localised. Localisation of these messages is a requirement before your request is finally assessed. This is the recent localisation activity for your language. Thanks, GerardM 22:04, 17 February 2009 (UTC)