Requests for new languages/Wikibooks Latvian
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikibooks Latvian|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||lv (SIL, Ethnologue)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Latvian||Language name in English|
|Language name||latviešu||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q9078 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
You can optionally list your user name if you are an active contributor to the test wiki. Add "N" next to your name if you are a native speaker of this language.
|Links||Latvian Wikibooks (closed), Latvian Wikipedia, Latvian Wiktionary||Links to previous requests, or references to external websites or documents.|
|Project name||"Wikibooks" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wikibooks talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||File:...||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)|
|Default project timezone||Continent/City||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
- Number of speakers: 1.5 million (WorldWide)
- Location speaked: Latvia (offical), Australia, Brazil, Canada, Germany, Ireland, Lithuania, Russia, Sweden, United Kingdom, USA
- The project was closed despite there being minor opposition to the move . I will repeat once again what I said back then - we didn`t know the project existed, some time should have been given for project to develop. A project can`t develop, if potential contributors know that it might be closed any minute. Despite that many people acctualy started to contribute (including several who did not vote). And I strongly feel that vote on closure should have been closed as irrelevant once people started to contribute - the original reason for closing was that there was no content, now there is content, that no one can edit anymore - no gain to anyone. ~~Xil...(talk) 05:32, 15 September 2010 (UTC)
- Latvian Wiktionary has revived recently and I believe the same would happen to Latvian Wikibooks as long as there would be at least one strong editor. Time permitting, I'm also willing to contribute to the project. --Marozols 13:21, 23 September 2010 (UTC)
- I agree that Latvian Wikibook would be useful. Because there is very many Latvian people who could contribute to the project.--Edgars2007 22:45, 27 October 2010 (UTC)
- *'Support'Support per above--Andrijko Z. 16:30, 23 December 2010 (UTC)
- Oppose I'm an admin of Persian Wikibooks. Besides I have participate discussions in English Wikibooks. There are some disorders in choosing which content is suitable for the project, how long each page should be, who can and who should edit the content on professional books, etc. In some cases you see a book with a good contents outline but full of red links without any content. These makes Wikibooks a complicated project which is not good for languages which its speakers don't have a high online population. That's why I have requested for deletion of several Wikibooks projects by now. --Doostdar (talk) 08:54, 17 March 2019 (UTC)
- The request is eligible, please go to Translatewiki and make the first three columns for Latvian 100%. --Millosh 16:08, 25 September 2010 (UTC)