- This annual report covers the period from July 2017 through July 2018.
This report presents activities by the Ohio Wikimedians User Group during their second year, July 2017 - July 2018.
At the Ohio State University, the Wikipedia Connection student organization continues to run with its second generation of leaders, all of which made their entry into the Wikimedia community through joining the student organization. This transition in leadership has presented a challenge, but activities have persisted through the group's weekly workshops and several edit-a-thons a year, primarily hosted at the Ohio State University Libraries.
The Ohio Wikimedians User Group is also helping host the upcoming WikiConference North America 2018 event in Columbus, Ohio, October 18-21, hosted with the support and hosting by the Ohio State University Libraries and Columbus Metropolitan Library.
The group also issued its first resolution regarding net neutrality.
Amidst the debate on net neutrality earlier this year, and with the upcoming U.S. Senate vote regarding the FCC's rollback on net neutrality rules at the time, the Ohio Wikimedians User Group issued its first resolution on May 3, 2018 after receiving consensus between its members. This resolution served as an expression of support for net neutrality in the United States and beyond.
To freely share in the sum of all knowledge requires that one be able to freely access that knowledge. Under previous protections, the rights of everyone to use the internet as they saw fit were guaranteed. Now with new FCC regulations repealing Net Neutrality, the ability to use the internet to spread free knowledge with the entire world is now in doubt. It is possible, and in our opinion quite likely, that restrictions on internet usage in the United States would be instituted, limiting access behind paywalls or data caps and ensuring that only those who pay would truly have access to one of mankind's greatest achievements. In order to preserve the spread of knowledge afforded only by a free and open internet, Ohio Wikimedians User Group declares our support for Net Neutrality, and any and all efforts to preserve it in the United States and throughout the world.
This resolution came to be linked to on the Net Neutrality page on Meta, alongside statements from the Wikimedia Foundation, Wikimedia District of Columbia, and Wikimedia New York City. This page was used by the Wikimedia Foundation and affiliates to request support on the U.S. Senate vote.
- Semester Funding for Workshops and Events in Fall 2017 - This Rapid Grant requested funds for Wikipedia Connection to continue to host weekly workshops, edit-a-thons, and other activities at the Ohio State University through the Fall 2017 semester.
- Semester Funding for Workshops and Events in Spring 2018 - This Rapid Grant requested funds for Wikipedia Connection to continue to host weekly workshops, edit-a-thons, and other activities at the Ohio State University through the Spring 2018 semester.
- WikiConference North America 2018 - Alongside the WikiConference North America user group, the Ohio Wikimedians User Group is preparing to help host WikiConference North America (WCNA) 2018 at the Ohio State University Libraries in mid-October. In April, the WikiConference North America 2018 conference grant was approved by the Wikimedia Foundation for $44,000, with a major portion of the funds going to fund scholarships for Wikimedians traveling to Ohio. Kevin Payravi (User:SuperHamster), member of the Ohio Wikimedians, serves as one of the two grantees for the grant, while Wikimedia District of Columbia serves as the fiscal sponsor.
The following are events hosted or supported by members of the Ohio Wikimedians User Group. See event pages for further details and statistics on each event.
- denotes an event hosted by members of the Ohio Wikimedians User Group.
- denotes an event hosted by Wikipedia Connection at the Ohio State University.
- denotes an event supported by members of the Ohio Wikimedians User Group.
A workshop bringing together experienced Wikipedians from across Ohio and Kentucky with scientists at NIOSH's laboratories in Cincinnati. Involved learning about NIOSH's research on health and safety issues of emerging technologies like nanotechnology and 3D printing from the scientists themselves, followed by improving coverage of workplace health and safety topics on Wikipedia.
Outcomes: 3 articles significantly expanded, 4 articles minorly approved.
In celebration of United Nations Day, students improved Wikipedia articles on the United Nations programs, history, and countries.
Outcomes: 8 articles expanded with content and sources.
A celebration of Wikipedia's 17th birthday on Ohio State's campus.
Third annual Art+Feminism edit-a-thon at the Ohio State University.
Second annual Spanish and Portuguese "translate-a-thon" at the Ohio State University.
Outcomes: 7 editors created 2 new articles, edited 8, and added 3,760 words.
The members and organizers of the Ohio Wikimedians User Group and Wikipedia Connection would like to thank the following for their help in supporting the Wikimedia movement:
- The Wikimedia Foundation, for providing grant funds and guidance to make our events and activities possible.
- The Ohio State University Libraries, whose staff have provided a countless amount of support and resources, and has offered their space and support for the upcoming WikiConference North America 2018.
- The Ohio State University's Spanish and Portuguese departments for their continued support of our Spanish and Portuguese Edit-a-Thon 2018.
- The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health and Wikimedia District of Columbia for hosting and supporting the NIOSH edit-a-thon.
- The organizers of Art+Feminism, who provided resources and guidance to allow for Art+Feminism events to be held in Ohio.