Movement Strategy/About/Transition/Reports/Bangla Wikipedia Community
|Name of your group||Bangla Wiki Community|
|Time and date of the event||November 6, 2020 @ 20:00 (BST)/14:00 (UTC) hours|
|November 19, 2020 @ 19:30 (BST)/13:30 (UTC) hours|
|November 27, 2020 @ 19:30 (BST)/13:30 (UTC) hours|
|Who attended?||22 participants|
|Who facilitated?||ZI Jony & Rajeeb Dutta|
|Who took notes?||ZI Jony & Rajeeb Dutta|
Q1. Which recommendations will respond to your community’s needs?Edit
|Choose Your Top Priorities||Why is it prioritized?|
|1. Recommendation 2: Improve User Experience (20 votes/78.4%)||Improving user experience will directly affect related to community growth and development, which will ensure less mistakes and users can stand in a better position. It can also ensure that our content and MOS will be complemented.|
|2. Recommendation 3: Provide for Safety and Inclusion (17 votes/65.0%)||Safety is a classical issue in our movement. Especially how can we empower our volunteers, so they can focus on volunteering for fear of editing pages. In this year (2020) one of our Bangla Wiki Community member faced with the same problem. He was targeted by one of the political party due to editing on-wiki articles related to that political party. Another one was targeted by one of the public servant. Even, I was also targeted by one of the public servants, he was called me on his office to attend the inquiry why his article has been deleted from Wikipedia. all this happened in this year! We need to improve our structure so that we can handle these problems.|
|3. Recommendation 1: Increase the Sustainability of Our Movement (16 votes/60.0%)||We want to make movement sustainable and outreach to reach various types of communities so that they can further enrich Wikimedia projects content. We also would like to make sure the sum of knowledge can be applied to all movement stakeholders.|
Q2.From the recommendations, which specific actions and changes would you want prioritized in 2021?Edit
|Choose Your Top Priorities||Why is it prioritized?|
|1. Recommendation 1: Increase the Sustainability of Our Movement
2. Funding for underrepresented communities
3. Increased awareness about the Wikimedia Movement
|We want to make movement sustainable and outreach to reach various types of communities so that they can further enrich Wikimedia projects content. We also would like to make sure the sum of knowledge can be applied to all movement stakeholders.|
|2. Recommendation 2: Improve User Experience
9. Methodology to improve the Wikimedia platform UX research, design, testing and community engagement
9. Community engagement around product design and UX
9. Adaptable UX to various devices
11. Resources for newcomers
|Improving user experience will directly affect related to community growth and development, which will ensure less mistakes and users can stand in a better position. It can also ensure that our content and MOS will be complemented.|
|3. Recommendation 3: Provide for Safety and Inclusion
16. Code of Conduct
|The code of conduct is important due to our group's desire to solidify the safe space policy.|
|4. Recommendation 4: Ensure Equity in Decision-Making
25. Regional & thematic hubs
|The Regional hubs and the Global Council are top priorities, so we can ensure equity and build trust among the movement’s partners.|
|5. Recommendation 6: Invest in Skills and Leadership Development
33. Skill development infrastructure
|Achieving a stable community group is the key to success in developing skills and leadership. Focusing on these initiatives can create a pool of good talents in our movement that we believe can benefit us even more in the future.|
|6. Recommendation 8: Identify Topics for Impact
37. List of high-impact topics
37. Bridging content gaps
|Wikimedia is not yet fully integrated in the sense that it follows more or less contemporary issues. We should also focus on the popular issues of the time.|
Q3. What human capacity and / or financial resources do you need to work on implementation?Edit
Think of your existing resources, the movement’s vast resources, and the support infrastructure you may need for moving ideas forward.
- Dedicated volunteers are coming from the community to do certain things that are beyond the capacity of our editors and volunteers to maintain a good position.
- All chapters/user groups should have an office space which can be a brainstorming space for all kinds of open knowledge enthusiasts. The office will also serve the user group to better plan and execute projects as per community needs in a more organized way.
- Office space with essential facilities for trainings and regular meetings in order to fully operate as a non-profit organization.
- Local funding in order to support its initiatives, individual's and other organization's projects, programs, and activities that promote free, responsibly open-content resources and reference materials in English and Bangali languages.
- Scholarships in short-term courses such as management and leadership skills training, event's management and organizing, media and communication.
- Specific advice on how to navigate the new legal environment would be much appreciated.
Q4. Which initiatives do you think should be the top focus for global coordination?Edit
Think global, movement-wide changes needed.
- Initiatives on bridging content gaps and for underrepresented communities.
- Those initiatives should be the top priority globally. If the movement is made sustainable, only then they will have a strong voice in hubs.