Movement Charter/Drafting Committee/Archived
The Movement Charter defines the roles and responsibilities for all in the Wikimedia Movement. It will be a shared framework for working together toward the Strategic Direction.
The Movement Charter Drafting Committee will create a draft of this Charter. The content will follow the Movement Strategy recommendation “Equity in Decision-Making”. The committee's work extends to writing a draft. It includes research and consulting with communities, experts, and organizations. This draft will need to gain consensus by Movement-wide ratification before it becomes the Charter.
This group will have around 15 members. It is expected to represent diversity in the Movement. Diversity includes gender, language, geography, and experience. This comprises participation in projects, affiliates, and the Wikimedia Foundation. For further detail consult Drafting Committee matrices.
English fluency is not required to become a member. If needed, translation and interpretation support is provided. Members may receive an allowance to offset participation costs. It is US$100 every two months.
Tentative list of members (based on the official announcement, 2021-11-01):
Members are expected to:
- Act in the interest of the whole Movement.
- Follow the Strategic Direction and Movement Strategy recommendations.
- Abide by the Universal Code of Conduct.
- Be able to invest an average of 5 hours per week for a year. That time might vary depending on the workflow.
- Be able to attend and take part in online meetings.
- Be able to work well in a consensus driven, open environment.
- Be ready to appoint and onboard new committee members if members leave.
- Not be under active sanctions by any Wikimedia project or the Wikimedia Foundation, including events ban.
- Share identity information with the Wikimedia Foundation. Candidates for this position must submit proof of identity and evidence of age of majority as a condition of candidacy. 
We are looking for people who:
- Know how to write collaboratively. (demonstrated experience is a plus)
- Are ready to find compromises.
- Focus on inclusion and diversity.
- Have the ability to see gaps that need to be covered.
- Have knowledge of community consultations.
- Have intercultural communication experience.
- Have governance or organization experience in non-profits or communities.
- Have experience negotiating with different parties.
Note: It is not expected that one individual will have the full profile. We are looking for profiles that complement each other. For further detail consult Drafting Committee matrices.
- The committee is expected to start with 15 people.
- If there are 20 or more candidates, a mixed election and selection process will happen.
- If there are 19 or fewer candidates, then the process of selection without election takes place.
More process details can be found here.
Elections and selectionEdit
If you wish to read the statements of the Drafting Committee candidates, click here.
Nominations for the Movement Charter Drafting Committee were closed on 14 September. Elections were held between October 12, 10:00 UTC to October 24, 2021 (AoE).
The results of the elections and selection processes were published on 1 November 2021.
- ↑ The legal age that applies in the country/state/location where the member is based.
- ↑ A copy of one of the following documents fulfills this: driver's license, passport or other official documentation indicating real name and age. This may be provided to the Wikimedia Foundation via email at secure-info wikimedia.org.
Note: For previous work on the Drafting Group or Committee, please consult this page.