|London 196||10 September|
|Bristol 4||16 September|
|Oxford 93||17 September|
|Bangkok 3||26 August|
|Oxford 92||20 August|
|Wikimania 2023 Singapore||16-19 August|
|London 195||13 August|
|Cambridge 46||18 June|
|UK virtual 18||26 April|
|Portsmouth 3||23 April|
|ESEAP Conference 2022||18-20 November|
|WikiConference North America||11-13 November|
|List of regular meetups|
|London · Hong Kong|
Date and time: Sunday 11th September 2011 — 13:00 onwards Edit
Location: Penderel's Oak Pub, Holborn, London WC1 Edit
Add your name to this list if you can make it to our forty-ninth meeting. Note that people of all ages and all Wikimedia projects are welcome!
Please also invite any London Wikimedia people you know (or have had wiki dealings with) – spread the word!
- Neil Crump--Neil Crump 11:11, 11 September 2011 (UTC)
- James F. (talk) 09:08, 15 August 2011 (UTC)
- Likely. CT Cooper · talk 12:23, 15 August 2011 (UTC)
- Ironholds 11:20, 18 August 2011 (UTC)
- Chase me ladies, I'm the Cavalry
- Philafrenzy 01:29, 23 August 2011 (UTC)
- Mike Peel 19:19, 28 August 2011 (UTC) (WMUK board member)
- I'll probably be driving down from Manchester - if you want a lift from Manchester or somewhere en route (M6/M1), let me know. Mike Peel 21:24, 7 September 2011 (UTC)
- the wub "?!" 13:46, 30 August 2011 (UTC)
- The Land 21:14, 2 September 2011 (UTC) (WMUK board member)
- I hope to come Natkabrown 10:25, 3 September 2011 (UTC)
- MartinPoulter 10:42, 3 September 2011 (UTC) (WMUK board member)
- HJ Mitchell | Penny for your thoughts? 15:43, 3 September 2011 (UTC)
- Filceolaire 12:58, 7 September 2011 (UTC)
- Davidjennings 14:59, 7 September 2011 (UTC) hopefully for an hour or so from about 1.30
- AdamBMorgan 17:11, 7 September 2011 (UTC) probably
- Discott 00:40, 8 September 2011 (UTC) most likely
- Johnbod 00:53, 8 September 2011 (UTC)
- JohnCD 20:15, 8 September 2011 (UTC) possible - I'm visiting London, but my hosts may have other plans
- Marek.69 talk 16:53, 9 September 2011 (UTC)
- Victuallers (WMUK board member)
- Andrew Davidson
- Ceoil, will be in London around this time.
- I hope to come Natkabrown 09:53, 8 October 2011 (UTC)
Informal chitchat with no set agenda. We usually have some experienced users and some laptops around so if you want a ten minute lesson in creating tables doing history merges or you just have a question on copyright this is a good venue (but please don't start discussions on copyright until enough people have arrived for a non-copyright conversation to run in parallel).
If you have some ideas for discussion topics, please put them below.
- Wikimedia UK is trying to ensure that the final candidates for the Chief Exec position will be present at this wikimeet, although this is TBC depending on availability after the in-person interviews on 1-2 September. A number of other board members are also expected to be present this wikimeet if the candidate chief execs are present.
- That's be great! James F. (talk) 18:01, 29 August 2011 (UTC)
- In addition, WMUK can cover the travel costs for up to 6 non-London Wikimedians to attend this wikimeet. To apply, please send me an email to michael.peelwikimedia.org.uk prior to 9th September, giving a brief rationale for why we should support your attendance (focusing on the presence of the future chief exec and questions you would like to ask them, the development of future wikimeets, or similar). Note that we can't support attendance without prior approval by email. Mike Peel 20:40, 31 August 2011 (UTC)
- Update: I gather that all of the final shortlisted candidates will be able to attend the meetup. Mike Peel 06:21, 3 September 2011 (UTC)
- On timing: all three candidates will be present between 2 and 4pm. Hopefully we can have a discussion prior to their arrival setting out expectations from the discussions. We'll be asking for everyone's feedback/input after they leave (i.e. between 4 and 5pm). Mike Peel 18:27, 9 September 2011 (UTC)
- That's be great! James F. (talk) 18:01, 29 August 2011 (UTC)
- couple of people could take a pic for Horsemaning.Geni 16:50, 9 September 2011 (UTC)
About the meetup Edit
London meetups are generally casual social events where we...
- Drink coffee, beer, tea and some of us have Sunday brunch. Sunday roasts are no longer offered but they do a reasonable pizza now and have a range of other snacks and dishes.
- Welcome guests from around the world and other groups which meet there
- Chat about Wikimedia or any other topics
- Experienced Wikimedians help out new editors and share experiences about anything from copyright to editing tools.
You can expect to meet some very keen Wikimedians; however, this is also an open invite for anyone interested in finding out more about Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects such as Wikimedia Commons, Wikiversity and WikiSource.
New and prospective editors are also very welcome.
The pub is quite quiet and family-friendly on a Sunday lunchtime, so younger Wikimedians will also feel welcome and safe. Alcohol consumption is not compulsory!
Disabled access Edit
The pub has an accessible loo on the ground floor. There are some sections of the pub that are only accessible by steps, but we always meet in the main step free section, usually opposite the main doors.
Location: Penderel's Oak Edit
It's easy to find us – we're usually the crowd with several laptops on the large tables straight ahead of you when you enter the pub. If not, then look for a tabletop Wikimedia UK banner and laptops with Wikipedia stickers on them. Wikimania Tshirts can also be a good clue.
Getting there Edit
||Chancery Lane||0.2 miles
The Penderel's Oak is between Holborn tube station and Chancery Lane tube station. Farringdon tube and Thameslink station and Temple tube station are not too far. The pub is also within walking distance of Waterloo railway station (1.3 miles; 2 km), St Pancras railway station (1.2 miles; 1.9 km) and Kings Cross.
Several bus routes also go directly to Holborn station; if travelling from Waterloo, it is quicker to travel by bus than by tube.
Bike hire (TfL scheme) is in Red Lion Street, just opposite the pub.
Visit the TfL Journey Planner for more information about your fastest route.
Back-up plan Edit
In the rare event of a kitchen closure or another problem at the Penderel's Oak, the meetup will be relocated to the Shakespeare's Head – another Wetherspoons pub located nearby. To get there from the Penderel's Oak, when exiting onto the street turn left, then when walking past Holborn tube station turn left again down Kingsway, and after a short walk the pub will be found on the left-hand side.