|London 199||10 December|
|UK virtual 20||6 December|
|London 198||12 November|
|Oxford 95||19 November|
|Waray 10||23 September|
|Bristol 4||16 September|
|Bangkok 3||26 August|
|Wikimania 2023 Singapore||16-19 August|
|Cambridge 46||18 June|
|Portsmouth 3||23 April|
|ESEAP Conference 2022||18-20 November|
|List of regular meetups|
|London · Hong Kong|
People of all ages and all Wikimedia projects are welcome. Complete newbies also welcome.
Although this meetup is a continuation of the regular "London" gatherings, going virtual means geography is no longer a constraint so do feel free to join from anywhere you may be!
Please also invite any London/UK Wikimedia people you know (or have had wiki dealings with) – spread the word!
Suggested topics edit
- We had an Esquire journalist as a guest last month. His article has now appeared: What We Know And Can Agree On: Wikipedia At 20. It doesn't seem that our meeting made much impact but perhaps we're represented in this list: "anarchists, trainspotters, creators, vandals, world experts, world amateurs, super-grammarians, super-creeps, supremacists and lone-wolf information crackpots"! Andrew D. (talk) 17:07, 28 October 2020 (UTC)
- Portuguese Wikipedia has banned unregistered editing, and for legal reasons IP addresses may need to be masked on all Wikipedias. What is the future of unregistered editing? the wub "?!" 12:44, 8 November 2020 (UTC)
Add your name to the list by adding an asterisk and four tildes like this:
- the wub "?!" 14:32, 11 October 2020 (UTC)
- Should actually make this one (unlike the last few). Joseph2302 (talk) 13:29, 16 October 2020 (UTC)
- — GhostInTheMachine talk to me 13:34, 20 October 2020 (UTC)
- Mike Marchmont (talk) 18:24, 22 October 2020 (UTC)
- Probably Johnbod (talk) 00:26, 23 October 2020 (UTC)
- Andrew D. (talk) 21:29, 26 October 2020 (UTC)
- Yes please. Mccapra (talk) 21:38, 29 October 2020 (UTC)
- Should make it Pi (talk) 05:57, 1 November 2020 (UTC)
- Will definitely pop in at one point! Can't wait LegofanCy (talk) 21:44, 5 November 2020 (UTC) Edit: didn't have time, also kind of forgot about it, really sorry..
- Should make it this time! Leutha (talk) 08:46, 6 November 2020 (UTC)
- WereSpielChequers (talk) 13:54, 6 November 2020 (UTC)
- MER-C (talk) 10:06, 7 November 2020 (UTC)
- Should be able to make it. Meanderingbartender (talk) 10:41, 7 November 2020 (UTC)
- Broichmore (talk) 14:42, 7 November 2020 (UTC)
- ClemRutter (talk) 22:08, 7 November 2020 (UTC)
May be attending edit
- Probably but depends on other commitments.Rodw (talk) 07:36, 19 October 2020 (UTC)
- Likely, but I can't guarantee. Adam Cuerden (talk) 08:16, 20 October 2020 (UTC)
- Might do, but will probably will be there. Dreamy Jazz talk to me | enwiki 13:17, 20 October 2020 (UTC)
- Jr8825 (talk) 12:33, 21 October 2020 (UTC)
- Excited to (hopefully) attend this; I made sure to enable my e-mail unlike last time *facepalm* Balon Greyjoy (talk) 15:27, 26 October 2020 (UTC)
- Complete newbie here... Hollypringle (talk) 15:23, 27 October 2020 (UTC)
- Femkemilene (talk) 21:44, 29 October 2020 (UTC)
- Excutient (talk) 07:08, 2 November 2020 (UTC)
- Bit of a Newbie, but would like to join. Haris920 (talk) 23:50, 5 November 2020 (UTC)
- Still trying to get my head round this place; and aiming to come along. Thanks, NeilOnWiki (talk) 10:20, 7 November 2020 (UTC)
- Prob pop in, where is code? Gameshowandsportsfan2007 (talk) 19:58, 7 November 2020 (UTC)
- Amakuru (talk) 09:38, 8 November 2020 (UTC)
Interested but not attending edit
I've sent this by email to most people already but going to try posting the link here as well this time. We've not had any issues with "zoombombing" in the past, and do have the "waiting room" feature enabled to prevent it. Pinging @Gameshowandsportsfan2007, GhostInTheMachine, LegofanCy, and Excutient: who I couldn't reach via email.
For the app: Meeting ID = 848 0556 6882, Passcode = 592828
About the meetup edit
London meetups are generally casual social events where we...
- Drink coffee, beer, tea and some of us have Sunday brunch. Sunday roasts are no longer offered but they do a reasonable pizza now and have a range of other snacks and dishes.
- Welcome guests from around the world and other groups which meet there
- Chat about Wikimedia or any other topics
- Experienced Wikimedians help out new editors and share experiences about anything from copyright to editing tools.
You can expect to meet some very keen Wikimedians; however, this is also an open invite for anyone interested in finding out more about Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects such as Wikimedia Commons, Wikiversity and WikiSource.
New and prospective editors are also very welcome.
The pub is quite quiet and family-friendly on a Sunday lunchtime, so younger Wikimedians will also feel welcome and safe. Alcohol consumption is not compulsory!
Disabled access edit
The pub has an accessible loo on the ground floor. There are some sections of the pub that are only accessible by steps, but we always meet in the main step free section, usually opposite the main doors.
Location: Penderel's Oak edit
It's easy to find us – we're usually the crowd with several laptops on the large tables straight ahead of you when you enter the pub. If not, then look for a tabletop Wikimedia UK banner and laptops with Wikipedia stickers on them. Wikimania Tshirts can also be a good clue.
Getting there edit
||Chancery Lane||0.2 miles
The Penderel's Oak is between Holborn tube station and Chancery Lane tube station. Farringdon tube and Thameslink station and Temple tube station are not too far. The pub is also within walking distance of Waterloo railway station (1.3 miles; 2 km), St Pancras railway station (1.2 miles; 1.9 km) and Kings Cross.
Several bus routes also go directly to Holborn station; if travelling from Waterloo, it is quicker to travel by bus than by tube.
Bike hire (TfL scheme) is in Red Lion Street, just opposite the pub.
Visit the TfL Journey Planner for more information about your fastest route.
Back-up plan edit
In the rare event of a kitchen closure or another problem at the Penderel's Oak, the meetup will be relocated to the Shakespeare's Head – another Wetherspoons pub located nearby. To get there from the Penderel's Oak, when exiting onto the street turn left, then when walking past Holborn tube station turn left again down Kingsway, and after a short walk the pub will be found on the left-hand side.