Learning patterns/Increasing editor retention
What problem does this solve?Edit
You want to attract new editors to your Wikimedia project, and you want them to keep contributing after the project is over.
What is the solution?Edit
Contests are a great way to reach new editors and help them become part of your community. Many people may have thought about editing Wikipedia before and decide to start because they hear about a contest on a topic they are very interested in. Once a new editor has joined a competition, they benefit from the increased attention to their work and from the increase in collaboration or camaraderie that comes with contests.
How to reach new editors:
- Use social media or partners to reach new audiences who are not already editing WP.
- Have community members contact new editors directly to invite them to join a contest.
- Promote your contest to participants in a Wikipedia education program or in workshops.
How to make your contest new-editor friendly:
- Give clear instructions on the event page about how to register for the competition, and how to do any other important contest related tasks, like self-score.
- Try to contact new editors off-wiki during the contest, either by email or on social media. Welcome them, let them know where to get help or ask questions. On social media, thank them for their contributions.
- Nominate someone to monitor the work of new editors, and offer assistance when needed.
- Let the community know that there might be new editors active during a contest. Post a message on a WikiProject page or on IRC channels where active Wikipedians communicate.
- Make lists of suggested articles or links to references on the contest event page.
- Offer a special prize for new editors. You can set a threshold based on number of edits or how long they have had an account.
- Ask Administrators to act as judges, or offer support to new editors. This allows new editors an opportunity to form relationships with respected community members.
When to useEdit
When you want to hold an event to attract new editors to your Wikimedia project, and you want them to stay.
|Newbie-Friendly Event Page|
|Contact new users off-Wiki|
|Personally invite new editors to join a contest|
|Monitor and offer support to new uers|