The Wikimedia community includes more than 700 content wikis, each of which has a Help namespace but there is great variation in how the help pages have been implemented. Where they do exist, help pages often duplicate the ones on other wikis and simply don't exist on other wikis.
- To enable greater reliability for users on all the wikis, it is proposed that the Wikimedia Community pursue one of three possibilitiesː
- centralize the help pages on Meta.
- centralize the help pages on MediaWiki (where there are also other help pages because the software is used by a large number of wikis beyond Wikimedia).
- create a global multilingual help wiki for all of the help pages (existing global wikis like Meta, Commons and Wikidata show that such wikis can work).
- Whichever option is selected, the help pages should be made available to all other Wikimedia wikis in the same way that global user pages can be viewed on any Wikipedia, Wikisource, Wikivoyage. If a particular wiki does not have a particular help page, it would show the global help page. However, it would also be possible to create a local page at any time that would prevent the global page from displaying. For another example, any Wikimedia Commons file page can be viewed on other wikis, but all of them can upload a new file which prevents the Commons file page from being displayed.