Hardware donation program/Ammarpad
Your contact informationEdit
- your username
- your contact e-mail (optional)
- ammarpad yahoo.com
Explain your planEdit
Tell us about how you contribute currently, and how you would contribute if WMF were to gift a used laptop to you.
I am active Wikipedian on English and Hausa projects, and also lead offline project to revive the young Hausa project and raise awareness of Wikimedia movement to Hausa people. I am primarily mobile editor and have made thousands of edits with mobile device, including substantial article creation over span of three years. However, mobile editing is not always easy and the mobile interface lacks some features which are only available or better used through desktop interface.
I believe access to laptop will greatly help me to continue article creation in more substantial chunk on both Wikipedias that I am active as well as be use in demonstrations and workshops meant for reviving the young Hausa Wikipedia.
Add the existing Wikimedia projects (Wikipedia, Commons, etc.) and language versions that you seek to impact with this equipment.
- English Wikipedia
- Hausa Wikipedia; and
- Wikimedia Commons
Work you're proud ofEdit
Show us (through links) some of your best Wikimedia work, on or off wiki, to help us get a sense for the kind of work you do. (no more than 3 or 4 links at most, please.)
- Substantial article creation on English Wikipedia. Some of which were highlighted on main page at various times.
- I am averse to advertising and paid editing in any form. I relentlessly fought thousands of spammers and corporate advertisers to uphold the integrity of English Wikipedia.
- Supporting Hausa Wikipedia both online and offline. Leading the first WMF project grant to introduce Hausa Wikipedia and Wikimedia movement to Hausa speakers.
IF YOU ARE REQUESTING THIS ON BEHALF OF A WIKIMEDIA AFFILIATE (i.e. to be owned by a Wikimedia affiliate rather than an individual), please type your affiliate name below, and add a link to your affiliate's public equipment tracking page.
- Affiliate name
- Public equipment tracking page
You are encouraged to track the impact this equipment has helped you make. This encourages WMF to donate more hardware.
In my request, I said, this laptop would help me in contributing more to Wikimedia projects: I am glad to say it did.
- It enabled me to contribute more to Hausa and English wikipedias with less effort required for mobile editing and with greater accuracy.
- The laptop helped me a lot when I organized the first Wikipedia Workshop in Kano, from collecting the participants details, curating the event documents, organizing the slides and presentation at the event and during various preliminary sessions. The tasks are quite near impossible to be managed with mobile phone alone. This device enabled me to do that with ease and promptness.
- I am also working with it in preparation to my upcoming events including my second workshop and Eagle Project of Nigeria Usergroup.
- It also enabled me to contribute more in technical space where the complexity and system requirement cannot be handled by most mobile phones. I have contributed a number of patches to MediaWiki and its extensions and also currently working on many others: My merged changes can be seen here on Gerrit. All my patches here. Mobile editing is more cumbersome in technical areas than conventional wiki editing and many things are just impossible to be done on mobile. This laptop gave me that opportunity.