Hardware donation program/Abbe98
Your contact informationEdit
- your username
- your contact e-mail (optional)
Explain your planEdit
Tell us about how you contribute currently, and how you would contribute if WMF were to gift a used laptop to you.
I'm primarily a volunteering developer building tools as well as I also do Commons uploads, bots and other contributions. I'm an administrator for the Wikimaps User Group and a previous grantee (Wikimaps Warper). For the past 3 years my main tool and only used computer has been my by school issued laptop. In late May I'm finishing upper-secondary school and lose access to this laptop. A laptop donated from the WMF would allow me to directly be able to maintain existing work and continue my contributions.
Add the existing Wikimedia projects (Wikipedia, Commons, etc.) and language versions that you seek to impact with this equipment.
- Tool Labs
Work you're proud ofEdit
Show us (through links) some of your best Wikimedia work, on or off wiki, to help us get a sense for the kind of work you do. (no more than 3 or 4 links at most, please.)
- This is possibly the best return of investment possible! Abbe98 has worked extensively on different corners of the Wikimedia projects and has exceptional understanding of complex issues related to the technologies and the GLAM users and contributors wishes. – Susanna Ånäs (Susannaanas) (talk) 11:29, 17 March 2017 (UTC)
- Strong Support :) →Spiritia 19:20, 21 March 2017 (UTC)
You are encouraged to track the impact this equipment has helped you make. This encourages WMF to donate more hardware.
I received the laptop in August 2017 and I still use it as of February 2019. Below I describe activities that has been done during this period with the help of the laptop. These activities are a selection and can not represent the overall impact of this donation.
- After receiving the laptop I became the second largest contributor of code to the popular tool Pattypan creating features such as Upload by URL. link
- After receiving the laptop I have contributed code to Kartotherian, the software that powers the interactive maps on Wikipedia. link
- After receiving the laptop I created a web application using and promoting sign language content on Commons and Wikidata. link
- After receiving the laptop I helped WMSE and Swedish National Heritage Board to compute priority lists for WLM 2017. link
- After receiving the laptop I hosted Wikimedia meetups together with other Wikimedians in Visby for events such as Every Politician.
- After receiving the laptop I have continued to maintain existing tools and gadgets as well as created new ones. link
 Since September 2018 I'm paid to work on Wikimedia related projects and in those cases I use other hardware.
 I nowadays work full time at Swedish National Heritage Board.