Grants talk:Project/Rapid/UGHK/Wiki Loves Monuments 2020 in Hong Kong
Comments from WMFEdit
Hello Michael (WMHKG), thanks for submitting this proposal! It's great to see that you are planning to join the Wiki Loves Monuments photo contest in 2020. I appreciate your work on this comprehensive request; I have reviewed it and have the following questions։
- What is the projected size of the award ceremony and edit-a-thon? How many participants do you expect to gather together during the offline events?
- Could you please confirm that the Wikimedia Community User Group Hong Kong is not an incorporated organization able to provide local proof of nonprofit status within Hong Kong?
- Does the user group have any relations to formerly active Wikimedia Hong Kong?
- DSaroyan (WMF), truly thank you for reviewing our application! I hope the following response can help you with the review process:
- We are planning to invite all finalists (10) and the jury (5-10) to the award ceremony. For the edit-a-thon, with our previous events such as Meetup/Hong Kong/Asian Month 2018 in mind, our estimation is that about 20 would participate. Therefore, about 40 people would participate in the offline event.
- Correct. We are not an incorporated organization, and therefore we are unable to provide local proof of nonprofit status within Hong Kong.
- We are unrelated to and independent from the formerly active chapter Wikimedia Hong Kong. While there are a few members who were previously members of the former chapter, they do not participate in the management of the user group.
- Thank you. Warm regards, Michael (WMHKG) (talk) 13:27, 8 June 2020 (UTC)
Hello Michael (WMHKG), thanks for your response! According to the WMF's current policy on the COVID-19 restrictions, we do not allow using funds to hold any offline events even after September 15. We are approving this grant on the condition that you confirm that the award ceremony and edit-a-thon will be held exclusively online — until WMF changes the funding policy for offline events. After changes in the funding policy, you can of course consider organizing these events offline. Best regards, DSaroyan (WMF) (talk) 16:27, 9 June 2020 (UTC)