Grants talk:PEG/WCUG Wikisource/Wikisource Conference 2015/Report
Hi Claudia, thank you for all of the hard work your team put into this report and into planning the Wikisource conference. We are pleased to hear that the conference was valuable for the Wikisource community, and that local volunteers were able to get involved. Not only was a mission statement created and translated into 21 languages, but Wikisource projects were well supported on the Community Wishlist and global priorities were considered when ranking technical priorities. This report was thorough and well written, so we only have a few questions and comments below:
- It is good to hear that WMF staff were helpful for facilitation. This is also a good lesson for conference organizers to consider in the future - it helps to have a facilitator who is familiar with the project.
- Thank you for writing my very favorite learning pattern ever: A fine selection of mistakes for organizing an international conference (and how to make sure you commit them). It is helpful that you have not just shared mistakes to avoid when planning an international conference, but how those mistakes can affect budgets, plans and participant motivation. Of course, I also appreciate the sense of humor.
- Is the Wikisource community planning to do anything to address the topics of interest from the participation survey:
- Discussions about how to attract more contributors to Wikidata
- Skill transfer, technical aspects of tools
- More info on Wikidata
- Hackathon/Editathon on Wikidata
- These suggestions were mainly aimed on how a similar event in future might be improved /enriched. As far as I know, there are no concrete plans so far for another Wikisource event, but the community members who will attend this year's Wikimania will have an informal meeting in Esino Lario in summer. --CDG (WMAT staff) (talk) 08:46, 15 March 2016 (UTC)
- Were there any next steps or action items that came out of the conference?
- Apart from working on the priorities from the list of technical needs identified during the conference, some members of the WSUG are planning sessions / posters for Wikimania. --CDG (WMAT staff) (talk) 08:46, 15 March 2016 (UTC)
Once again, thank you for all of your hard work on this project. We hope that the Wikisource community continues to build on the work that was started at the conference. As for the 1470 EUR unspent funds that we'll be deducting from your next APG installment, we will be sending you an Amendment to your current APG agreement that will allow us to do this..--KHarold (WMF) (talk) 17:26, 11 March 2016 (UTC)