Grants talk:IEG/WOW! Editing Group
Eligibility confirmed, Inspire CampaignEdit
This Inspire Grant proposal is under review!
We've confirmed your proposal is eligible for the Inspire Campaign review. Please feel free to ask questions and make changes to this proposal as discussions continue during this community comments period.
The committee's formal review begins on 6 April 2015, and grants will be announced at the end of April. See the schedule for more details.
Questions? Contact us at grants(at)wikimedia.org.
Thanks and initial feedbackEdit
Hi Jsm0925 and Ajc831! Thanks so much for your idea to pilot an editing mentorship model pairing college-age and high school-age women. You’ve laid out a promising plan to develop and document best practices for building a community of female editors. I have a few initial questions to help think through some of the project details:
- Your mentorship model depends on college-age women who are sufficiently trained to be capable of mentoring high school-age women. Are you in contact with experienced Wikipedia editors who can train mentors? No doubt your previous successes with Art + Feminism will give you a leg up here and it would be helpful to see more concrete details in your plan. In addition to training in editing, you may also want to consider training in mentorship skills, including appropriate boundaries when mentoring minors.
These are fantastic points. We guided new editors through the process of editing articles at the Art+Feminism event, but we would like to connect with 1 to 2 more experienced editors who can help us with training. There was a person from the Wikimedia Foundation at our event, and he was very helpful to all of us. We'd like to work with him or others. We were trained on the "traditional" editing platform, but the Beta editor is much more intuitive and easier to use. Regarding training our college-age mentors, jsm0925 also directs a nonprofit that works with minors, and has worked with a professional who trains volunteers. We can use her training material or explore hiring her for a half day training session with our mentors. Jsm0925 (talk) 17:49, 27 April 2015 (UTC)
- It would be helpful to have a more detailed explanation of your budget. Since most of your requested funds would pay for an Investigator, your budget appears to place a predominant emphasis on Research. What are your plans and anticipated outcomes for the Research component? How will Research feed into the Act and Document components of your project?
Most of our budget does pay for stipends, as we predict this will be a very labor intensive project (20+ hours/week at times) that will require many hours of community work, interviews, liaising and people organizing. Most of our hours will be devoted primarily to our "Research" and "Act" categories. Although we delineated them in our grant proposal, the two categories inform each other and activities will overlap. The three phases of this project are interconnected and dependent on each other in order to progress with the project. Although our grant largely pays for labor, we truly minimized the stipend amounts because we deeply believe in this work. Jsm0925 (talk) 17:49, 27 April 2015 (UTC)
- Consider adding quantitative measures of success to your project. For example, you might include “We hope to create or improve X articles by the end of this project” or “We hope that 10% of participants become active editors over the next X months.” Ideally, your goals should be realistic but also a stretch.
This is fantastic! We think a concrete goal will provide motivation to our group (including us) and give us something tangible to work toward. We will add a quantitative goal to the proposal now! Thank you for the wonderful thoughts and suggestions. Jsm0925 (talk) 17:49, 27 April 2015 (UTC)
Aggregated feedback from the committee for Wikipedia Buddy GroupEdit
|(A) Impact potential
|(B) Community engagement
|(C) Ability to execute
|(D) Measures of success
|Additional comments from the Committee:
Inspire funding decisionEdit
Congratulations! Your proposal has been selected for a Project and Event Grant through the Inspire Campaign.
WMF has approved partial funding for this project, in accordance with the committee's recommendation. This project is funded with 8,050 USD
Comments regarding this decision:
Thanks for engaging in the Inspire campaign! We’ll be in touch about setup soon.
- You will be contacted to sign a grant agreement.
- Review the grant implementation information.
- Make any necessary scope adjustments to your proposal page, as discussed with grantmaking staff.
- Start work on your project!
Questions? Contact us at grants wikimedia.org'