Grants talk:Conference/WM TN/Wikiindaba2018/Report
WMF review and commentsEdit
Hi Zeinebtakouti, Yamen, and the WikiIndaba 2018 team. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this report. I was happy to learn from your experience and the impact the conference had on the community. It is so exciting to see so many new initiatives and groups forming under a mutual vision. We really hope to see more and more conferences and projects lead by those new communities.
I reviewed your final report, and have some comments and questions I'd be happy to get your response on. As for the financial report - as we discussed, I'll be waiting for the few receipts that were missing before finalizing the grant. But for now, I do have a request - can you please add the final expenses breakdown as a 'wiki Table', or as an attached PDF? (The spreadsheet you have shared is great, but we just need it as a doc that is closed for edits).
- Increasing Participation/Community Engagement - did you managed to get more contributors to join their local Wikimedia communities?
- Can you address the '6 months after the conference' results on the table? Do you have any data on increased participation in thematic and sister projects?
- Have you witnessed any new collaborations between African affiliates or UG's?
- Wiki Indaba Steering Committee - this is obviously one of the best outcomes one can hope for. We have seen the committee's work since then, and it is clear why is it so important and much needed in order to build a strong, stable and growing regional platform for the African region. Thank you for the work you have done in facilitating this progress. Same for the newly recognized User Groups. This is very exciting!
- I was not aware of WikiFundi. Thank you for sharing this. Can you please elaborate on what was done at WikiIndaba 2018 in related to this project?
- I strongly agree that partnerships and collaborations with other local institutions and visionary allies can be an amazing and impactful jump-start for more growth. I see that this was one of your goals and I also understand that you did have outreach component to the event and that you have worked with local institutions. But can you please give a clearer review of what kind of external partnerships you had and what were the outcomes? A short description will be enough, I just couldn't find it on the report.
- Grants approval timeline is usually published almost a year in advance and so is the announcement date for each funding round. We do this because we know that usually it takes a while for funds to be sent and it obviously takes a lot of time to organize a conference in such scale. This is definitely something to consider in advance when applying for a conference grant and deciding on an event date.
- Maintaining good relationships with vendors and partners- this is a very good advice. Also helpful in establishing long term connections and potential support in the future. I'm really glad to see that you managed to find some silver lining in this situation. Yes, having funds be sent in 2 installments may bring some challenges with the cash flow. In the future, if you see any major problems with this process, please flag in advance and maybe we can find a way to send the money sooner, or to come up with other ways of monitoring expenses.
- Program design - In order to allow a structured program with enough time, but still to have some flexibility when needed, you'll might want to consider having a few time slots on the program for some 'Unconference' sessions. Those will allow spontaneous gatherings, organized by the participants for further discussions.
Thank you again for the work you have done. We highly appreciate your effort in facilitating this very important platform for the community. We will happily welcome any future updates and outcomes. All the best CAlmog CAlmog (WMF) (talk) 11:50, 8 July 2020 (UTC)
Final Budget wikindaba 2018 Financial report PDF versionEdit
Hi, Please find a link for the financial report budget in a PDF version.
Grant report approvedEdit
Your complete grant report has been reviewed and accepted, and documentation of expenses has been received. Thank you again for the work you have done and we appreciate the outcomes from the event, and what you learned with WMF and the community. We highly appreciate your effort and were very happy for this opportunity to support this community gathering. We sincerely hope to see more proposals from the community in the future and warmly welcome any updates you would like to provide us about this event. All the best,CAlmog (WMF) (talk) 10:30, 19 November 2020 (UTC)