Grants talk:Conference/Egypt Wikimedians UG/WikiArabia 2017 Conference
Visa cost Edit
please consider Visa fees reimbursement (fees of visa application + hotel accommodation -+ travel fees to the embassy) and other it should be included with the total cost --Mohammed Bachounda (talk) 10:37, 21 May 2017 (UTC)
Hello User: Ahmed Mohi El din thanks for putting in an application for this grant, I wanted to know the countries you intend to invite participants, the allocation and the basis for that allocation. I believe that will make it very easy to select participants and be able to also know whether the numbers of participants is a good one in terms of diversity and representation.Rberchie (talk) 14:02, 25 June 2017 (UTC)
Eligibility Review Questions Edit
Thank you to the team who has been working on this proposal. We need you to answer a few questions and complete some sections of the grant request by Monday June 5th, when the committee will begin reviewing requests.
- Due to the size of this grant, we would like you to use a fiscal sponsor to manage the funds. Are there local NGOs or non-profit organizations who can accept the funds on your behalf and support you in tracking spending and accounting? If you are not able to find a suitable fiscal sponsor, please ask the travel agent, hotel, conference venue and caterer if they are willing to issue invoices for WMF to pay directly.
(The travel agent and the hotel can accept the transaction form the foundation directly)
- Complete the goals section of the grant request. The goals should tell us what you hope that the WikiArabia community will be able to achieve as a result of this conference. This can be changes you want to see in the 3, 6 or 12 months after the event.
please check the grant page
- Summarize the outcomes and lessons learned from WikiArabia 2016 in 3 or 4 bullet points.
please check the grant page
- Please add more detail to the questions listed in the 'Context' section. It is important to explain what specific problems you hope to resolve at the conference, which project and activities conference participants will work on together at the event, how you would like to collaborate more with WMF and with each other, and other information that will help others understand why it is important to host this gathering in October.
- Please link to the results of the survey or questions and needs page that you have done to collect input on what people would like to focus on at this event, and summarize the information you gathered. ˈWikipedia
I understand your team has done a lot of work to learn about community needs and to plan this event, however, the application does not reflect all of that hard work or planning. In order to have your request reviewed during this round, you need to complete the application by answering the questions and providing the details that I have outlined here by Monday, June 5th. We can wait until after the 5th to discuss fiscal sponsorship or develop a plan for how to manage payments if the request is approved. Please let me know if you have any questions. --KHarold (WMF) (talk) 00:38, 2 June 2017 (UTC)
WMF Comments Edit
Hi Ahmed Mohi El din, thank you for adding additional information to the grant request about the goals of the conference and the lessons learned from previous WikiArabia conferences. It seems like there are several important topics that your group would like to discuss at this meeting, and that you have support from members of the Arabic language communities. We want to work with you to make those goals clearer, and develop a program and follow up plan to ensure that your community is able to get the most benefit possible from having a regional meeting. In the section below is a table that I will work with you to fill out to help structure your goals and activities more clearly. Before we can more forward with a funding decision, I want to get a little more information about what planning you have already done, and the availability of the organizing team over the next six weeks. Please see the questions and comments below for more details.
- Please send me links to your questions and needs page or survey results. It is OK if the responses are in Arabic, I can find someone on my team to help translate the responses.
- If you have not already done a survey, or asked the relevant communities to fill out a questions and needs page, I can help you develop a survey to get more specific input about what strategic discussions, capacity development or project planning participants want to work on during the conference.
- Please ask your organizing team how they would like to work with me in the coming months. This can be by regularly scheduled phone calls, emails with questions and tasks, or on Telegram or Facebook chat, or you can propose some other way that we work together.
- In an email, someone on the organizing team wrote that participants for the event have already been selected. Please be aware that I would like to have the conference grant committee review the selection criteria, and I will need to review and approve the participant list before any scholarships can be issued.
- Planning an effective conference for October means we will need to work on surveys, participant selection and program planning during July and the first few weeks of August. Please check with your team and confirm whether they are able to commit to this timeline.
- Goals, activities and follow up strategy
|Description||Activities during the conference||2 months after the conference||6 months after the conference|
Are there issues affecting your community that need to be discussed in person?
|Notes about the status of the discussion. Plan for next steps, with leaders identified who will be responsible for following up.||Report on the progress that has been made 6 months after the conference.|
|Capacity Development: What skills do participants want to learn?||How many people participated in the trainings?||Survey participants 6 months after event -- how many people have used the skills they learned?|
Are there joint projects that need to be planned in person?
|Brief description of new projects that were planned at the conference or summary of improvements/changes that were made to existing projects after the meeting. Identify people who will be responsible to follow up or complete projects.||Provide an update on projects that were started, or changes that were made as a result of work done at the conference|