Grants:PEG/Wikimedia Slovakia/Wikipedia workshop within KAEST/Report
Compliance and completionEdit
- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Is your project completed?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Did you use any of the grant funds?
- Answer YES or NO.
Activities and lessons learnedEdit
This section describes what the grantee did, and what the grantee learned from implementing the project. This section should be useful to others implementing similar projects and is an opportunity for the grantee to reflect on the project's performance.
- Provide a detailed list of activities performed to complete this project, descriptions of these activities, and the amount of time spent on each activity. This section should also include a list of participants, or a link to pictures, blog posts, or videos from the project or event.
- November 15th - presentation and discussion: basic introduction to the world of Wikipedia and Wikimedia, pillars and policies of Wikipedia, the community, free licenses, Wikimedia organisations and possibilities to participate in their work; 2 hours
- November 16th - the main training divided into 2 groups:
- beginners - reintroduction to Wikipedia pillars and basic policies, advantages of Main page, user registration, first edit, first article, introduction to the problem quantity vs. quality, Wikipedia environment, behaviour of editors, SUL
- experienced user - citation and references, templates, advanced formatting, tasks for bots, gadgets and customization of environment, SUL
- all: uploading of images, copy right issues
- in total: 3,5 hours
- November 17th - Wikipedia quiz, 30 min
- Some participants could attend the conference with the help of this grant and in addition presented talks:
- November 16th - Less well-known projects of Wikimedia; 1 hour
- November 17th - Wikimedia Esperanto (which after a few months have turned into WUG Esperanto kaj Libera Scio); 10 min
The publishing of videos and texts of additional talks is in progress.
- What lessons were learned that may help others succeed in similar projects? Consider the following questions and respond with 1 - 2 paragraphs.
- What went well?
- The whole workshop went quite well. It was attended by participants of the conference KAEST divided into two groups by their computer and wiki skills.
- What did not go well?
- A few days before KAEST, the workshop leader for beginners, became unable to attend the workshop due to health problems. We saved the situation by shifting the workshop leaders and helpers between the 2 groups. Everything went well, but the opening of the 3rd planned group would be problematic.
- What would you do differently if you planned a similar project?
- Materials in the group language - we received leaflets and brochures from WMPL and WMCZ but not all participant could speak those languages and we couldn't provide further materials in their languages.
- Set some kind of homework (1 new article, edits in 10 articles, etc.) as a prerequisite for help from grant.
- Prefer an aggregated grant for similar events, not individual grant for every single event (but it may be taken into consideration if the event is big enough).
- Usage of WM SK bank account. We our fiscal sponsor's account and it was a little more difficult.
- Not to measure the success of a practical workshop oriented to engage Wikipedia (or similar) editors by the number of new members of a Wikimedia organisation.
- To be aware of hidden bank fees in advance.
- Take good care of receipts.
Project goal and measures of successEdit
This section should reference the project goals and measures of success described in the approved grant submission. See Grants:PEG/Wikimedia Slovakia/Wikipedia workshop within KAEST to review the goals and metrics listed in the approved submission.
- Provide the project goal here.
- Improving the capabilites of existing Wikipedia contributors. Recruting new Wikipedia contributors. Bringing more trust and willingness to help among the contributors by making them to get to know each other.
- Did you achieve your project goal? How do you know your goal was achieved? Please answer in 1 - 2 paragraphs.
- We achieved the project goal partially. There was no such success about recruting of new users as we hoped; in contrary capabilities of existing users was improved. The trainers has being asked by learners until the end of the conference to control their edits and manner of working, with good results. Some learners have asserted to be more bold in editing, better understand relatively chaotic environment of Wikipedia and behavior of another users and be aware that "on the another end of line sits another human being, not a computer".
Measures of successEdit
- List the measures of success exactly as provided in the approved grant submission, and evaluate your project according to each measure listed there.
- activity of editors – increase of activity and quality of participating Wikipedia editors
- Average increase of activity of learners is not so high as expected, especially of the new ones. On the other hand quality of existing contributors was improved.
- generating interest in media and educational institutions
- Despite modest media coverage, especially directed to international world, we (WMSK) now profit from the workshop. We are starting our school ambasador program and colabouration with NGOs and this workshop already now increases our credence and approve our skills and experiences.
- increase of interest in WMSK and widening of its member base
- There was certain increase of interest about WMSK but especially abroad, what does not help us a lot. There was no increase of member base of WMSK and I consider this point as bad elected measure of success.
- Provide an overall assessment of how your project went according to these measures.
- The project was not such succesful as expected. Especially expectations for regruting of new contributors was overestimated. Although the project’s goals was partially achieved.
- If you were to plan a similar project, would you measure it differently? If yes, please explain how.
- Some our means of measure we consider adequate and some not.
- As it was a practical workshop we consider measuring by comparasion of activity before and after as a adequate method.
- As "interest of media and institutions" was only a side goal and especially a long-term one, we consider it as supporting mean of measure. It can help to evaluate side goals of project. Part of it is relatively simple controllable. Similarly with "increase of interest in organisation".
- We consider bad the point "new members of organisation [Wikimedia Slovakia]", especially when most participants was from other countries than the base one of the organisation. This could make sense if most (all?) participants would be from the organisation's country or it would be an international organisation; but preferably avoid it. But it can be nice side affect.
This section ties this project to Wikimedia's broader goals, and shows what the project accomplished.
- What impact did this project have on WMF's mission and the strategic goals? Please answer in 1 -2 paragraphs and include specific measures of impact such as the number of readers or editors reached by a particular project, or the number of articles edited or improved.
- Stabilize infrastructure
- Increase participation
- Improve quality
- Increase reach
- Encourage innovation
- 15 participants have learned how to use and contribute to Wikipedia more efficiently and on higher level of quality, from both content and technical point of view. A couple of them are utilizing the newly achieved knowledge for better active work. Unfortunately, part of learners is not so active. Some of them are teachers or organisation / work-group leaders with opened way to collabouration, which we would like to utilize.
Reporting and documentation of expendituresEdit
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- Did you send documentation of all expenses paid with grant funds to grants at wikimedia dot org, according to the guidelines here? Answer "Yes" or "No".
- Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the instructions here.
- These expenses should be listed in the same format as the budget table in your approved submission so that anyone reading this report may be able to easily compare budgeted vs. actual expenses.
- Note that variances in the project budget over 10% per expense category must be approved in advance by WMF Grants Program staff. For all other variances, please provide an explanation in the table below.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Actual cost per unit||Actual total||Budgeted total||Currency||Notes|
|1||lodging||lodging||1 person/night||20||12||240||180||EUR||see below (valid for program fees too)|
|2||Program fees||per person||20||5||100||75||EUR||see below (valid for program fees too)|
|3||travel||travel||for every person individually||5||N/A||65,17||250||EUR|
|4||leasing||lease of classrooms||per room||2||36,50||73||95||EUR||budgeted 95 EUR together for classrooms, big room and local fee (see #Local fee below)|
|5||leasing||lease of big room||per room||1||15,25||15,25||95||EUR||budgeted 95 EUR together for classrooms, big room and local fee (see #Local fee below)|
|6||leasing||local fee||13||95||EUR||budgeted 95 EUR together for classrooms, big room and local fee (see #Local fee below)|
|7||bank||bank fees||30,18||very small||EUR||expected fee was 0,18 €; 30 € is fee of intermediary bank|
Prize of lodging and program feesEdit
In our submission we have asked for 180 € for lodging and 75 € for program fees for 15 participant, with explicit information we hope the number of participant will increase.
"Local fee" is fee to be paid to local municipal authority for lodging, leasing etc. Local fee for the whole KAEST was 65 €. As our Wikipedia workshop lasted 1/5 of KAEST, we calculate 1/5 of it for this grant.
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- 600 €
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission, this total will be the same as the total project budget if the WMF grant is your only funding source)
- 600 €
- Total amount spent on this project (this total should be the total calculated from the table above)
- 536,6 €
- Total amount of WMF grant funds spent on this project (this total will be the same as the total amount spent if the WMF grant is your only funding source)
- 536,6 €
- Are there additional sources of revenue that funded any part of this project? List them here.
- leaflets, brochures, T-shirts, pencils, bags and similar informational and propagational materials from WMPL
- lanyards, stickers, magnets and similar informational and propagational materials from WMPL
- leaflets from WMCZ
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- 63,4 €
- If funds are remaining they must be returned to WMF, reallocated to mission-aligned activities, or applied to another approved grant.
- Please state here if you intend to return unused funds to WMF, submit a request for reallocation, or submit a new grant request, and then follow the instructions on your approved grant submission.
- new grant requst