Grants:PEG/WM UA/Programs in Ukraine 2013
- Official project name
- Programs in Ukraine 2013
- Project start date (include month, day, and year)
- 01 July 2013
- Project completion date (include month, day, and year)
31 December 2013 31 January 2014 31 March 201410 April 2014
- Please describe this project in 1 - 2 sentences
- The goal of this project is to support programs that are undergoing already (such as wikiexpeditions, workshops) and to conduct one- time events, such as Wikiconference and to held Wiki Loves Monuments photo contest, publish promotional and educational materials
- Currency requested
- Amount requested in currency requested
- Equivalent amount in US$ on the date of this submission
- List the exchange rate used to calculate the amount listed in US$
- UAH 799.3 per US$ 100.0 (quoted from bank.gov.ua on 1 July 2013)
See the eligibility requirements for more information.
- What is the official name of the organization requesting this grant?
- Wikimedia Ukraine
- Are you an organization, an individual, or an individual submitting on behalf of a group?
- Answer ORGANIZATION, INDIVIDUAL, or GROUP.
- Are you a for-profit entity?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Are you able to provide local proof of nonprofit status within your country?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Does your organization currently employ any fulltime or part-time staff or contractors?
- Answer YES or NO.
- If you answered YES, please indicate how many. You may use fractions or percentages for part-time staff if appropriate.
- EX: 4 fulltime staff and 2 part-time contractors (50% each).
- If yes, please provide a list of their job functions, or a link to your organization's staff page, if it lists all employees and contractors employed or engaged by your organization.
- EX: A complete list of staff and contractors is available at http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Staff_and_contractors.
- Primary contact name
- Nataliya Tymkiv / Наталія Тимків
- Primary contact username or email
- antanana, attolippip at gmail dot com
- Primary contact title (position within the organization)
- Treasurer (Deputy Chair of the Board for Finance)
If this project will be executed by someone other than the primary contact for your organization, please list that person's details here:
- Project lead name
- Анатолій Луцюк / Anatoliy Lutsiuk
- Project lead username or email
- Yakudza, yakudza at wikimediaukraine dot org dot ua
- Project lead title (position), if any
- Chairman of the Board
Goals and measures of successEdit
Please briefly describe what will be accomplished if the project is successful.
- Project goal
- The goal of the project is to increase the amount of active wikipedians in Wikipedia and other wikiprojects by conducting workshops and working with new editors, teaching them to contribute to different wikiprojects (e.g. Commons, Wikivoyage, Wikinews), not only to Wikipedia.
Measures of successEdit
Please provide a list of measurable criteria that will be used determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed.
- Measures of success
- number of newly registered editors (wikiexpeditions, workshops, WLM 2013) - 10 / 130 / 300;
- number of illustrations uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (wikiexpeditions, WLM 2013, wikipedia) - 1900 / 30 000;
- number of publications (about our projects, wikiexpeditions, WLM 2013, wikipedia and other wikiprojects, for example, Wikivoyage) - 20 per months, 120 total;
- number of newly illustrated articles about the cultural heritage sites and other places of interest (wikiexpeditions, WLM 2013) - at least 500 articles;
Project scope and activitiesEdit
This section describes what will happen if this project is funded. Who will do what, and when?
- List of activities
- Wikimedia Ukraine will support and organize:
- Wikiexpeditions - we plan to conduct at least 10 long-distance wikiexpeditions (by car or by train), 14 medium (by bicycle) and 14 short ones (on foot);
- Wikimedia education program (WEP) - we plan to conduct at least 14 workshops;
- Article contest - we plan to support wikicommunity efforts by giving out some small souvenirs and promotional materials, also article contest with more expensive presents will be held, if the sponsors are found. at least one is scheduled this autumn;
- Wiki Loves Monuments - we have held a really successful photo contest in 2012. Lists are being updated, some new solutions for categorization of the images uploaded are being proposed and developed, a photo album is to be published;
- Publishing - a new hand-book on "How to edit Wikipedia" is being developed. We want it to be published before the start of the school year, also some promotional and educational materials are to be printed;
- Wikiconference - the 3rd Ukrainian Wikiconference is to be held. We have not yet decided where, but we are going to do it this year, as it will popularize wikiprojects and the community. This time two participans' travel expenses to an international conference are included;
- General Meeting (WMUA GM) is to be conducted, and some other wikimeetings;
- Souvenirs - pens, T-Shirts, cups, souvenir badges etc;
- WM UA Library - buying printed encyclopedic books for WM UA Library, that are needed for writing and improving articles;
Budget and resourcesEdit
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
Project budget tableEdit
|Number||Category||Total cost||WMF contribution||Other sources||Currency||Notes|
|4||Wiki events and WMUA GM 2013||1790.00||1234.00||556.00||USD|
|6||Souvenirs and Wikizghushchivka||638.00||638.00||USD|
|8||Wiki Loves Monuments||6963.00||6077.00||886.00||USD|
|Number||Item description||Unit||Qty||Cost per unit UAH /USD||Total cost USD||WMF contribution (USD)||Other sources (USD)||Notes|
|1.1||Wikiworkshops (travel and per diems for conducting workshops)||event||14||375.00 UAH / 46.92 USD||657.00||563.00||94.00||There are volunteers willing to conduct wikiworkshops in their own town, or while traveling (on business, f.ex.)|
|1.2||Travel (travel and per diems for signing the agreements etc)||event||3||375.00 UAH / 46.92 USD||141.00||141.00||Sometimes the partners can cover these expenses, but it is really uncommon. Sending by post is not advised, as if lost, it would be very difficult to get a rector to sign the agreement again (and without this document it is really tricky to start working on WEP)|
|1.3||Materials (printing out the materials for the workshops)||event||14||5.00 UAH / 0.63 USD||8.00||8.00|
|2.1||Wikiexpeditions (by bus, train or car)||event||10||600.00 UAH / 75.07 USD||751.00||751.00||Actually it is for long-distance expeditions. AlongCarpathian expedition is mostly accomplished on foot, but it would be placed here, taking into account the distance (400 km) and the duration (1 month)|
|2.2||Wikiexpeditions (by bike)||event||14||225.00 UAH / 28.15 USD||394.00||357.00||37.00||There are always volunteers willing to take pictures along their way. They can be awarded with a badge or a T-shirt|
|2.3||Wikiexpeditions (on foot)||event||14||10.00 UAH / 1.25 USD||17.00||13.00||4.00||These wikiexpeditions can be time-consuming while preparing (looking for all the notable buildings and places to see, and planning the route). A bottle of cold water (summer time) or a cup of hot coffee (autumn/winter time) would be great|
|3.1||Travel expenses (for participants) 2-way||person||20||300.00 UAH / 37.53 USD||751.00||751.00|
|3.2||Accommodation expenses (for participants)||person||10||100.00 UAH / 12.51 USD||125.00||125.00||We believe, that wikipedians/wikimedians would host participants from other towns during the event|
|3.3||Materials (for participants)||person||40||15.00 UAH / 1.88 USD||75.00||75.00|
|3.4||Coffee-break and lunch (for participants)||person||40||100.00 UAH / 12.51 USD||500.50||500.50|
|3.5||International Conference travel expenses||person||2||2000.00 UAH / 250.22 USD||500.50||500.50||Participation in at least one international conference (Armenia)|
|3.6||Hall rent||day||1||1600.00 UAH / 200.18 USD||200.00||200.00||We believe that our partners (Universities we work with on WEP) will cover this|
|4. Wiki events and WMUA GM 2013||1790.00||1234.00||556.00|
|4.1||WMUA GM 2013 (travel and accommodation, coffee-break and lunch)||person||30||208.00 UAH / 26.02 USD||781.00||781.00||Annual general meeting of all organisation members. We expect to accommodate about 30 members who are not living in Kyiv|
|4.2||Wiki events (transport, rent of hall, coffee-break, souvenirs)||event||3||2687.00 UAH / 336.17 USD||1009.00||453.00||556.00||We are planning to have at least two article contest this autumn. And we would like to have a chance to have a proper awarding ceremony for them, as it can have some wider press-coverage. Also something like this concert is possible, as we do hope to have more Ukrainian musicians interested in sharing their art with the whole world... under the free license|
|5.1||Publishing||project||1||12 000.00 UAH / 1501.31 USD||1501.00||1501.00||We plan to publish "How to Edit Wikipedia 2.0", taking into account that we are going to intensify our WEP programm (5000.00 UAH / 625.50 USD). Also we would need some booklets and brochures on different projects (GLAM, f.ex) (7000.00 UAH / 875.50 USD)|
|6. Souvenirs and Wikizghushchivka||638.00||638.00|
|6.1||Souvenirs||person||72||50.00 UAH / 6.26 USD||450.00||450.00||These souvenirs will help us to award hard-working volunteers, that take part in thematic weeks and months|
|6.2||Wikizghushchivka||person||60||25.00 UAH / 3.13 USD||188.00||188.00||This is a local award, given for the biggest contribution made to the wikiproject (usually for a newbie and a more experienced user). See here.|
|7.1||Library||book||4||500.00 UAH / 62.55 USD||250.00||250.00||Encyclopedic books are quite expensive|
|8. Wiki Loves Monuments||6963.00||6077.00||886.00|
|8.1||Press-conference||event||2||2040.00 UAH / 255.22 USD||511.00||255.50||255.50||We believe that our partner RegioNews will help us with at least one of these events|
|8.2||Main Prizes||per nomination / per place||6 / 3||3441.00 UAH / 430.50 USD||2583.00||2152.50||430.50||We are looking for other partners / sponsors, who will be willing to support the contest|
|8.3||Additional Prizes & Awards||person||15||300.00 UAH / 37.53 USD||562.50||562.50|
|8.4||Jury's offline meeting (travel expenses and meals)||event||1||2400.00 UAH / 300.26 USD||300.00||300.00||Judging from our previous experience (WLP 2012 and WLE 2013), this offline meeting of the jury is very important|
|8.5||Hall rent||day||1||1500.00 UAH / 187.66 USD||188.00||188.00|
|8.6||Hall decorations||event||1||1000.00 UAH / 125.11 USD||125.00||125.00||The prize-winning photos are to be printed out. An exhibition or exposition can be made later|
|8.7||Travel expenses (for participants and jury members)||person||20||150.00 UAH / 18.77 USD||375.00||375.00||To the awards ceremony|
|8.8||Post expenses and telephone charges||project||1||1000.00 UAH / 125.11 USD||125.00||125.00|
|8.9||Food & Beverages. Stand-up party||person||30||25.00 UAH / 3.13 USD||94.00||94.00|
|8.10||Publishing photo album||project||1||15000.00 UAH / 1876.64 USD||1877.00||1877.00|
|8.11||Technical support||hour||40||39.97 UAH / 5.00 USD||200.00||200.00||List conversion computer program adaptation|
|8.12||Transportation expenses||way||3||60.00 UAH / 7.51 USD||22.50||22.50||Our banners, prizes and food are to be delivered to the venue|
|9. Administrative expenses||1373.00||878.00||495.00|
|9.1||Post expenses and telephone charges||month||6||60.00 UAH / 7.51 USD||45.00||45.00|
|9.2||Accounting fees||month||6||600.00 UAH / 75.07 USD||450.00||450.00||It will be done on a volunteer basis|
|9.3||Travel expenses (board meetings)||person||4||375.00 UAH / 46.92 USD||188.00||188.00|
|9.4||Office supplies||month||6||50.00 UAH / 6.26 USD||37.50||37.50|
|9.5||Bank expenses||month||6||760.00 UAH / 95.08 USD||570.00||570.00|
|9.6||Transportation expenses||month||6||60.00 UAH / 7.51 USD||45.00||45.00|
|9.7||Website hosting||month||6||50.00 UAH / 6.26 USD||37.50||37.50|
- Total cost of project
- 16,635.00 USD
- Total amount requested from the WMF Grants Program
- 14,363.00 USD
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
- 2272.00 USD
See a description of nonfinancial assistance available. Please inform Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance
- We shall need supplies, printed materials and other merchandises (T-shirts, sticker, badge, calender, posters etc) for outreach from Wikimedia Foundation;
- We shall need 20 T-shirts to encourage the winners of WLM, outreach persons and the top ranking editors.
This section is optional. It may be used to highlight the potential grantee's potential for successfully executing this project.
Consider including the following information:
- List of team members (names or usernames):
- A1 (WLM and music projects)
- Ahonc (WLM)
- Aliona Lyasheva (WEP)
- Amakuha (wikiexpeditions, WEP coordinator)
- Antanana (Finance, WLM, wikizghushchivka, wikiexpeditions)
- Base (WLM and wikizghushchivka)
- Ilya (WLM)
- Jbuket (WLM)
- Kharkivian (How2EditWikipedia, WEP)
- Nickispeaki (WLM, How2EditWikipedia, WEP, wikiexpeditions)
- NickK (WLM, QR-pedia)
- Perohanych (executive director)
- Shao (WikiBioContest)
- Visem (wikiexpeditions coordinator)
- Ата (WEP, wikizghushchivka)
- Юрій Булка (WEP, music projects)
- Onwiki evidence of community support (such as a project about this discussion):
- Endorsements from community members or movement groups:
- Special skills or qualifications this potential grantee or project lead brings to this project:
- We have a skilled Scala programmer that has developed a computer program for rendering the text lists (the ones that were given to us by the state authorities) into wiki text lists, this program was useful for WLE 2013
- Evidence of past success in executing similar projects:
- We have conducted a very successful WLM 2012 and now WLE 2013. Other smaller projects also have their history of success.
- RegioNews (Ukrainian Information Agency) is one of our partners
- We have a good camera and recording equipment, that community can use
In the sections below, please describe how the project is related to the Wikimedia mission and Wikimedia's strategic priorities.
Fit to strategyEdit
- How will this project support the key organizational objectives of
- increasing reach (more people will access or contribute to Wikipedia or our other projects),
- participation (more people actually contributing),
- quality (more content, more useful content, or higher-quality content),
- credibility (more trust in our projects),
- organizational maturity and effectiveness (how it will move you or the Wikimedia community forward),
- or financial sustainability (how it will help you achieve more in the long run)?
- This statement should address at least one of the strategic priorities listed here specifically. See WMF Grants Program criteria for decisionmaking.
- This project will:
- increase reach and participation (as more people will contribute to Wikimedia Commons directly (the registration is required to take part) and to the other Wikiprojects via pictures uploaded),
- quality (more free pictures to illustrate the articles with),
- credibility (more trust in our projects, f. ex., Wikipedia and Wikivoyage),
- organizational maturity and effectiveness (we have analyzed our previous mistakes),
- financial sustainability (we are going to establish new business contacts that may be useful for us in general, and especially for WLM 2013).
- If the project will benefit a specific online community, please tell us.
- Ukrainian Wikipedia, Wikinews and Wikivoyage directly. And all the other Wiki projects via Wikimedia Commons pictures
- Please provide a brief statement about how the project is related to other work in the Wikimedia movement. For example, does the project fit into a work area such as GLAM, education, organizational development, editor retention, or outreach?
- This project falls into Outreach program area since it will be aimed at recruiting and supporting new Wikimedians and building strong relationships with cultural and educational institutions.
- If successful, will the project have the potential to be replicated successfully by other individuals, groups, or organizations? Please explain how in 1–2 sentences.
- What activities are more to the liking in a specific community cannot be tracked by other means, than by trying and failing, or trying and succeeding. But we believe that our experience may be useful to other chapters that was to have support for their program activities.
- Please list other benefits to the movement here.
- The positive press coverage generated by the launch events (WLM, article contests and Wikiconference) should increase the presence of free knowledge groups in our country.
- 13 workshops, 10 participants
- NoFOP in Ukraine will prevent from uploading every picture taken to Wikimedia Commons
- 38 wikiexpeditions, 50 pictures each
- NoFOP included
- the articles are to be written, though. some article contest (wikiweek or wikimonth) is to be organized AFTER the photo contest
- In 2012 four collective and three individual wikiexpeditions took place. More than 700 were uploaded and over 50 articles improved. In 2013 wikiexpedition to Chornobyl was held, wikiexpeditions (wikiexpeditions by bike were assigned its own page) and a short "on foot" one
- The exchange rate used for calculating is 799.3, as indicated above. The amounts are rounded
- It is recommended to take photos of buildings in autumn or winter as the trees (if there are trees, of course) would be without leaves