Welcome back from Wikimania 2018!
- Option 3: New Creation: What was one useful outcome that was created at the event for the Wikimedia movement?
- Add a link to something new that was created as a result of your participation in this event (for example, you might link to a new tool that you and your co-participants worked on at the Hackathon, or to pages created in a workshop you participated in).
This being my first ever Wikimania, I'm glad to share that I had the opportunity to attend Wikimania. I also had a special invitation from Whose knowledge to participate in the first ever Decolonizing the internet conference . Although it was challenging since I had to run in between sessions and still make it for the learning days and Hackathon I made it with so many connections and diversified knowledge acquisition. Oh Yes! I was successful and it was a great learning experience which i had no regret on the stress gain because i knew for a fact that my community was looking up to me to share knowledge acquired and also take some initiatives to make significant impact:)
I met Amir E. Aharoni of the WMF who helped me signup to the translate wiki. This was done at the last hour due to my tight schedule bundled with other sessions here is a link to a site for our new development (translatewiki.net) . Albeit, the creation and installation of Akan keyboard will help me to teach my community on doable resources to help bring to live Akan Wikipedia to the Ghanaian community, This activity is slated for September, i will also use a suggested app for working in Twi on smartphones Swiftkey. I also met with the WikiMaster, Erik Bolinda and we are planning on having a contest event first week in October with Open Foundation West Africa.
I also participated and led an edit-a-thon session on The AfroCine Project in my home country. This initiative was discussed with Jamie Tubers from Nigeria who initiated the project plan during Wikimania in July.
- Learning days
Here I participated in the WEP session where we discussed issues therein and how we can solve them by strengthening partnerships with institutions.
My main goal in attending Wikimania was to learn as much as I can to help boost my community’s participation in the movement. I want them to appreciate diversity and establish the need to improve our Akan Wikipedia. Someone quoted this at one of the plenary talks and took que from says, "One arrow alone can be easily broken but many arrows are indestructible". Team work is my priority in attaining success.
- Amir is one of my valuable connections
- Erik also has an exciting app to learn from Wikipedia as well as contribute relevant information through test and questions
- I had conversations with Mexican wikipedian and we plan on having an online editathon participation with Ghana.
- Wikilovesearth discussion in making Ghana participate to bring to light hidden history and places.
Decolonizing The Internet AchievementEdit
- Freddie from Wikitongues
- Had project plans established with Maame Kyeremah Kwartemaa of African Women's Development Fund (Ghana) at Decolonising the internet conference. We intend to hold sessions dubbed Women Of The Wiki which seeks to improve articles solely related to women in Ghana this October.
- Participated in the WikiAfrica Meetup with 18 participants.
- Participated in the Decolonising conference and shared my experience with the group.( Over 50 participants were present)
- Wiki women meetup which was led by Maria Cruz catapulted the need to solve challenges women face online and offline wikis as well as sharing of diverse experiences as take home.(about 40 women were present)
- Met May Hachem and La Kritzolina, we discussed women's impact towards to society and work adaptation.