Grants:TPS/Flixtey/Wa Kiwix Project
I will be joining a Wikimedian living in WA in the Upper West Region of Ghana to install and deploy the use of KIWIX for a senior high school in the region. As part of our plans to roll out an education project in the country next year. We are using this exercise as a pilot to test all suitable methods that may benefit this region when we actually roll out. This project will best suit students in the target region due to high poverty rates and the inability to afford either internet or gadgets to view the orthodox Wikipedia we all use.
On the 29th (Sunday) we look forward to install the platform so we introduce them to the system once school starts on the 30th (Monday). The resident Wikimedian will follow up to check on progress and solicit feedback through questionnaires after a two week period. The conclusions drawn from our findings will inform our decision for the future.
Goal and expected impactEdit
- Promote the use of Wikipedia by students.
- Expose students/youth early to this platform and surge their interest to volunteer as future editors.
- Establish the existence of the Wikimedia Ghana Usergroup
- Extend the reach of the Usergroup in the country
- GHC 700 (Return flight from Accra to Tamale)
- 30 x 2 = GHC 60 (Tamale to WA and back to Tamale by road)
- 15 x 2 = GHC 30 (WA to school/destination and back to WA)
- 50 x 2 = GHC 100 (Feeding for 2 days)
- GHC 100 (Accommodation for 1 night)
- GHC 205 (For 20 GB of data)
TOTAL = GHC 1,195 ($331)
I would appreciate an advance disbursement in order for me to pay and get ready for the trip.
This training opportunity for the students in the Upper West Region is going to revolutionize learning in this part of the country where high cost of data, poor internet connectivity and endemic poverty affect students' access to knowledge and Information technology tools. We cannot wait to participate in such a life changing opportunity!Akowugefrank (talk) 17:32, 17 November 2015 (UTC)