Welcome back from Wikimania 2015!
बिप्लब आनन्द (Biplab Anand)
Nepali and Maithili Wikipedia
Being my first Wikimania, I have acquired great experience regarding knowledge sharing approach and interaction with other Wikimedians. The Wikimedia Foundation scholarships program is a great opportunity to participate in this conference, for ensuring its continuity and improvement every year. In Wikimania i met some global wikipedians and made good connection with them. Apart from sharing and exchanging knowledge I found Wikimania as a platform to resolve the different obstacles which We faced during organizing in-wiki and off-wiki events. Assembling all those opportunity, responsibility, sharing, exchanging knowledge and achieving skills of minimizing the barriers Wikimania became a milestone for me to start a new and strategic journey on the Wiki Way. I have shared my Wikimania experience with my community.
- In Nepali Wiki Community
- In Maithili Wiki Community
- Content Translation
Translathon and discussion was a learning experience. On the particular session i made 3 articles in Nepali Wikipedia and 2 articles in Maithili Wikipedia.
Making Infoboxes easier to edit and maintain with the help of Wikidata was an interesting presentation. After learning from the session I am thinking towards launching a Datathon event in Nepali (newiki), Maithili (mai), Nepal Language (newwiki) and Bhojpuri Wikipedia (bhowiki).
- Wikimedia SAARC
A great idea evolved during Wikimania was to form "Wikimedia SAARC" during Indic Languages Meetup, to include other SAARC nations and languages.
- Krish Dulal from Nepali Wikipedia: We are from the same community. We discussed about our future plans.
- Nabin Sapkota from Nepali Wikipedia: He was my roommate and travel partner during the Wikimania. We talked about our community future plans.
- Satdeep Gill from Punjabi (Eastern) Wikipedia: It was my second encounter with Satdeep and we discussed about the collaborating projects between Punjabi and Nepali Wikipedias.
- Vikas from Mediawiki: It was my first meet with Vikash and we discussed about Mediawiki Extension and Gadgets.
- Manoj Karingamadathil from Malayalam Wikisource: We met at Indic language meetup to sort out our future plans.
- Viswa from Malayalam Wikipedia: It was my second meet with Vishwa at Indic Language Meetup. We discussed about Picture uploading process to Wikicommons.
- Ahmed Nisar Telugu and Urdu Wiki Community: Second meetup with Ahmed. We shared our project details with each other as well possible collaboration between two communities.
- Muzammilludin Syed from Hindi and Urdu Wiki Community: It was glad to meet Muzammil. We discussed about the running incubator project in Nepal their progress and blog related information.
- Netha from Malayalam Wiki Community, Wiki Women's India and WikiMed Project: We met at Indic language meetup to sort out our future plans.
- Ravishankar from Wikimedia India Chapter: It was my second encounter with Ravishankar at Indic Language Meet-up and discussed about the possible collaborations among SAARC and Asian Wikipedians.
- Dineshkumar Ponnusamy from Tamil Wikipedia: Meet at Indic Language Meetup and discuss about the inwiki movements.
- Bodhisattwa Mandal from Bengali Wiki Community: It was my third encounter with Bodhi. We met at Indic language meetup to sort out our future plans and possible collaboration to bring SAARC countries wikimedians under one umbrella.
- Thamizhpparithi Maari from Tamil Wikipedia: We met at Indic language meetup. How to
- Nahid Sultan from Bangla Wikipedia: Discuss about the Outreach event that he conducted so far in Bangladesh and ideas about the commons and meta.
- Nurunnaby Chowdhury Hasive from Bangla Wikipedia: Discuss about the Outreach event and concept to organize a event in Nepal.
- Khalid Mahmood from Punjabi (Western) Wikipedia: Discussed about inwiki Movement on both community.
- Rashiq from Kiwix: Learn about Kiwix and it's use on the Remote Area of Nepal.
- Samir Elsharbaty WMF: Learn ideas about Wikipedia Education Program.
- Sati Houston WMF: A quick discussion about the grant strategies that could help the community to organize outreach events.
- Amir E. Aharoni WMF: Content translation strategies and discussion about the incubator projects (dty and awa) and their ongoing performance.
- Santhosh Thottingal WMF: Discuss about the Doteli and Awadhi incubator projects and it’s recent activities.
- Asaf Bartov WMF: Meet at Wikidata Discussion ant we discussed about Various Wikipedia projects in Nepal as well discuss about the incubator projects.
- Andre Klapper WMF- Discussion about the reported bugs and future plans.
- Lane Rasberry from New York Wikimedia Community: We met at Indic Language Meetup and discussed about the documentation procedure and requirements to upgrade our community as a chapter.
- SPQRobin Meta Wiki: Meet at Community Hall and we discussed about the progress of Doteli Incubator project and Awadhi Incubator Project.
- Edward Galvez - Talked about formation of chapter. which is very important one.
I have uploaded the event photos that i took during Wikimania 2015.
It was the very first time three wikimedians of Nepali Language were selected for the scholarship to attend Wikimania. During Wikimania After Various meetups and discussions I, Nabin Sapkota and Krish Dulal have decided to organize national level wiki conference in Nepal which includes communities from Nepali Wikipedia, Maithili Wikipedia, Nepal Bhasha Wikipedia and Bhojpuri Wikipedia.