Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed. You can add details to each goal.
- Add or improve content: Capture and upload 200 images featuring Samos island. Update existing Wikipedia (EN, EL) articles to include latest images.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. How many walks/tours will you organize and how many people on each walk?
- There will be 4 separate photo walks between June and August 2017. 5 core participants will participate in each photo walk.
2. What kind of content will the walks focus on? Why is this topic a priority?
- Wikipedia Commons lacks images of Samos island. We wish to enrich Wikipedia Commons with a plethora of photos featuring various points of interest (e.g. natural sites, monuments, etc.). Ideally, we plan to visit Vathy, Pythagorio, Kokkari, Mt. Kerkis and Seitani Beach which are famous attractions.
3. What is the plan to ensure images will be used on Wikimedia projects?
- Many Wikipedia articles relating to Samos island include few or completely no images. Other articles include outdated or low quality images. Our plan is to update those articles so that they include new, higher quality photos.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Yes, they do have the skills and experience. Core participants are already involved with the local free and open-source community, called fossaegean. Although we lack professional equipment (e.g. DSLR camera) to capture the photos, we are going to use high-end smart phones instead.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- We're thinking the project will be mostly efficient (in terms of budget and impact) by having a small team of contributors sponsored for each walk. Public transportation and food costs would be significantly higher -yet the expected impact wouldn't differ much- If Wikimedia was to sponsor, let's say, 15-20 contributors.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- Number of participants: 5 Core Participants
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: 200 Photos in Total, 50 Photos per Tour
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: 50% of Uploaded Photos, equals to 100 Photos.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Samos@Wikipedia is an initiative run by fossaegean community members. It is supported by the University of the Aegean. Community members have experience working with free and open-source projects.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Transportation (Public Transport): 100 EUR
- Food (Snacks): 80 EUR
Total: 180 EUR ~= 200 USD
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!