Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- We want to take the dicussion about free licenses and the upcoming copyright reform in Bulgaria to a target group that hasn't been our ally so far: artists. This is why we want to be present with a stand and discussions at this year's Sofia Art Week and reach out.
- The main goal is to popularise free licenses and Wikimedia projects among contemporary visual artists.
- An auxilliary goal is to attract new allies for the upcoming national copyright reform.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- 3D print a user-generated reproduction of a city statue: We will host a "stage" at the Sofia Art Week. The idea is to get a 3D printer and connect it to an AI programme. The AI software will be fed user photos of a selected iconic statue in Sofia. Based on this input the machine will generate a reproduciton of this statue and 3D print it.
- Debate on who owns the copyright on the 3d printed statue reproduction:We will host a debate with lawyers and artists on the stage. Is the user-generated 3D statue reproduction legal? (No full Freedom of Panorama in Bulgaria) Who own the copyright? The author of the original statue? The users who contributed the photos? The programmer of the AI software? The machine?
- Legal Clinic: We will have the space for a week. So we will also organise a so-called legal clinic where a group of pforessional, pro bono lawyers will consult artists on copyright online and the use of free licenses.
- Wikipedia Help Desk: We assume many arists will have questions on how they can be represented on Wikipedia. We will have a help desk explaining the different criteria for having one's own article (e.g. notability) and how to upload one's works under a free license to Commons.
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- Will share on Village Pump. Our main target are artists, because we are trying to reach out to a new group of people for whom copyright is exteremely relevant.
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- We want to form a "copyright reform coalition" that includes artists.
- We would also like to follow-up with an edit-a-thon on contemporary Bulgarian art.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of total participants: 500
- Number of articles created or improved (if applicable)
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (if applicable)
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects (if applicable)
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Sofia Art Week's orgnisers are donating the "space" for free.
- We have three volunteers committed to the organisation, including a professional art manager.
- The AI software will be loaned to and run for us by the University of Engineering & Architecture.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
- 3D Model Production Costs: 560 USD
- Sofa Art Week "space" - decoration and equipment rental: 505 USD
- Site Specific Artwork cost: 560 USD
- Travel Cost for Discussion Guests and 3D Experts: 375 USD