Grants:Project/Rapid/Yoruba Wikimedians User Group/Wikify Yoruba: Wikidata, Lexicons and SPARQL Training
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add Yoruba labels and descriptions to Wikidata items where they are lacking
- Create new Yoruba lexemes on Wikidata
- Train people on how to query data from Wikidata using SPARQL
- Improve Yoruba-related Wikidata items.
- Recruit new volunteers for Wikidata
- Improve the skills of existing Yoruba volunteers on Wikidata
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We are organizing two training and edit-a-thons: The training would focus on how to obtain data from Wikidata using SPARQL, add Yoruba labels and descriptions to Wikidata items, create new items and Yoruba lexemes on Wikidata. Following the training, edit-a-thons would be organized and participants will add labels and descriptions to Wikidata items where they are lacking, create new items for notable subject with no Wikidata items, and create new Yoruba lexemes on Wikidata.
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- Yoruba Wikipedia community has been notified (see link)
- Yoruba Wikimedians User Group has been notified (see link)
3. How will you let participants know about the edit-a-thon? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- We will invites people within our network
- Use our social media channels such as Facebook, and Twitter
- Use our WhatsApp group and mailing list to invite existing members of our community
- We will reach out to all our past collaborators and participants of pasts events
4. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event? Please provide links to the usernames of these individuals.
For example: User:I JethroBT
- Yes. They includes:
5. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Yes, participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate
6. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- WhatsApp group will be created for them for further engagement and mentorship
7. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
8. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events - 2
- Number of participants - 30
- Number of new editors - 20
- Number of of Wikidata item created or improved - 500
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events) - 20
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Venue for the events: ₦100,000 x 2 days = ₦200,000
- Food and Drinks: ₦5,000 x 25 x 2 days = ₦250,000
- Router : ₦20,000 x 1 = ₦20,000
- Data Bundle: ₦20,000 x 2 = ₦40,000
- Communications and Graphics: ₦50,000
- Branded Nose Mask: ₦1,000 x 25 = ₦25,000
- Branded Shirts for 3 facilitators and 2 best participants: ₦5,000 x 5 = ₦25,000
- Gifts for best 3 participants: ₦100,000 x 1 = ₦100,000
- Certificate of Participation: ₦1,000 x 25 = ₦25,000
- Transportation for Facilitators: ₦20,000 x 3 = ₦60,000
- Stationery and Miscellaneous: ₦30,000
Total ₦825,000 (USD 2,000) (Oanda)
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!