Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- Create content about Africa and Africans in Wikipedia and organize Wikipedia editing events into Finnish and other language Wikipedias. Progress Wikimedia movement awareness and activity in Africa and Finland.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- The residence will start in Finland in May 2017. During May-November 2017 I will create a contact network with Finnish and African Wikimedians, stakeholders and experts. I will train volunteers to edit Wikipedia, upload photographs into Commons and create Wikidata items. The residence continues with a seven week stay in Villa Karo, Benin (December 4, 2017 - January 19, 2018). There I will train volunteers, organize editing events with museums and schools. I will train collaborating institutions to organize Wikipedia editing events.
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- I will release a news bulletin (Finnish & English), create a Wikipedia project page and a Facebook page of the project.
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- I keep in contact with them by email and meeting in person if possible. The project page with achieved results and redlinks will remain.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of total participants 60
- Number of articles created or improved 300
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons 150
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects 70
- Number of Wikidata items about Africa 2 000
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- I have received a residence grant from Villa Karo organisation in Finland, that funds and organizes my travels and air travel ticket (Helsinki – Cotonou – Helsinki), airport and transportation Cotonou – Grand-Popo – Cotonou, living and breakfast in Villa Karo, Benin, cleaning of the room and helps and supports the planning of local travels in Benin.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
- 800 Euro for plane ticket (Villa Karo pays the excess, about 400-600 Euro)
- rent for staying in Villa Karo 350 Euro, these make 1180 €, of which 200 € is due date by May 31, 2017 and 980 by November 4, 2017
- multiple entry visas (Benin & West African countries) and travel insurance 430
- malaria & other medicine and vaccinations 200
- telephone & internet costs
- extensive interpretation services