Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikimedistas de Colombia/Wikivacaciones 2016/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
- We expected a bigger number of photos in general, but we're very happy with the amount of photos from municipalities with few or none photos in Commmons before the contest.
- About the writing contest: we're happy about the raw amount of new content we got. However, we're not happy with the amount of participants. Just two of them added valid content for the contest; one of them is an old participant. Other people added content that didn't fit with the rules of the es.Wikivoyage but could be added to other articles that already exists. We should discuss in the group this part of the contest as we aren't achieving what we at first wanted when we added Wikivoyage (a not so famous Wikimedia project) to the contest. As a note, this time we had drastically reduced the prizes of the writing competition; this could've been the cause of the low participation, or this could've saved us from having several prizes without a valid winner.
- We can see that there are some reiterative participants. Some of them are part of our plans to get more members in the WUG, and we're already preparing a grant to meet them personally and involve them in the activities of the group. The role of the contest in our strategy plans to grow in member is important and we're happy with the results.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|100 participants||66: 59 in the photo category, 7 in writing category.||Target not reached. A possible explanation we got for this amount of participants is that the sitenotice banner was delayed for three weeks, so it started being displayed late December; we really think that affected the number of participants, as our main method for getting participants is the banner.|
|1000 photos uploaded to Commons||977 photos||Even if we don't reached the goal, as we say in the Grant request we give emphasis to photos in municipalities with few or non photos, and a lower quantity of photos would be OK for us. We were very close to achieve the goal, and are really happy for the amount of photos from those municipalities. We think we reach a kind of success in this target (perhaps we should have had an outcome specifically related to this).|
|Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: we expect more than 40 photos to be used in the Wikimedia Projects.||About 42 photos||Success.|
|Number of Wikivoyage Itineraries created: at least 5.||10 itineraries||Success.|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- The contest focus on getting pictures for places with few or no photos in Commons. We got participation of people from new places this way, and really high quality pictures of some of those places.
- What did not work so well?
- The sitenotice banner. Two factors contributed to the negative outcome around it:
- We asked for it on December 1, without knowing that requests now may take 10 days to get processed.
- The processing of our request took about 22 days to be processed.
- The writing contest. While we expected it to be small compared to the photographic contest and we got a fine amount of raw material, we're still not happy with the amount of participants.
- What would you do differently next time?
- It's very important to request the site notice with enough time.
- We haven't got a conclusion on what to do about the writing contest. Options are diverse, from simply not doing it again to doing workshops focused on helping people to participate (which are difficult because of our available resources).
Grant funds spentEdit
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Actual cost per unit||Actual total||Budgeted total||Currency||Notes|
|2||2 TB HDD||Prize||Units||1||285000||285000||COP|
|3||Samsung Galaxy E Tab||Prize||Units||1||339000||339000||COP|
|4||Librería Nacional gift card||Prize||Units||4||150000||600000||COP|
|5||advertisement||Facebook ads||Ads||1||-||54,62||USD||Facebook ads of 19,08 USD + 39,54. We paid in COP, 172500 COP|
|7||Extras||Extra, banks fees||-||-||-||10000||COP|
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
We'd like to retain the unspent funds while we apply for another Rapid grant.
Anything else you want to share about your project?
Thanks a lot for the support. The extra Wikimedia swag arrived quickly, and it was a nice addition to the prizes for winners. We now also have some for future events :)
If you need any further clarification, please don't hesitate to ask.