- Obtain photographs for Colombian municipalities, with emphasis in those that don't already have.
- Add new content to Wikivoyage in Spanish.
- Involve new volunteers with activities.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project.
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community? The contest focuses on Colombia in general. We want people to document their vacations in the most diverse ways, so Colombian food, events, people, places, buildings, etc. can be illustrated. In particular, this year we'll try to motivate people to illustrate places that don't have photos in Wikimedia Commons; that would be specially useful as a way of picturing the country as a whole.
2. How will you let people know about the contest? Via Wikipedia CentralNotice, through Facebook (with the help of partners and with the use of ads).
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes? There will be 2 kind of prizes: those awarded by a jury and those awarded by a public election process. The former is the way we run the main contest, while the latter is a way to get people more active in our social networks and to get more followers.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects? This year, we'll have a special prize to award people who photograph places with few or none already existing images. This will make easier to add those images to the Wikimedia projects. Also, we'll award the best Wikivoyage Itinerary, and we'll tell people that having images on it is better; that way, participants will have a motivation to illustrate their own itineraries with their images.
Finally: last year, two of us helped adding some images to the Wikimedia projects. We plan to do the same this year.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project? It's the second time we run the contest, and the fifth time we run a nationalwide contest. This year, we are trying to diversify the awards to involve people with the Wikimedia Projects in different ways.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals?
- Number of participants: we expect at least 100 participants. Ideally, we expect more than 175.
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: we expect 1000 photos uploaded to Commons. Given that we'll give some emphasis to photos of new places, even a relatively low amount of photos may be very useful.
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: we expect more than 40 photos to be used in the Wikimedia Projects.
- Number of Wikivoyage Itineraries created: at least 5.
What resources do you have?
- 3 team members: User:Racso, User:Sahaquiel9102, User:Remux. All of them have organized Wikimedia contests before.
- Expected help from extra volunteers. Also, a joint activity with the Biblioteca Nacional de Colombia is expected.
What resources do you need?
- Prizes for winners
The 3 main prizes are for the main photographic contest. The gift card are special prizes: photo with more votes in Facebook, best Wikivoyage Itinerary, best photo from a town that has few or none photos in Commons, prize for the person who has categorized most of his photos in Commons.
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Tab E - 400.000 COP
- 1 External Hard Drive 2TB - 300.000 COP
- 1 Google Chromecast - 160.000 COP
- 4 gift cards for Librería Nacional - 150.000 COP x 4 = 600.000 COP
- Total cost in prizes: 1.460.000 COP
While we'll use Wikipedia's sitenotice as our main advertisement hub, we plan to use Facebook ads for showcasing the contest and our group.
- Facebook ads: 300.000 COP
- Total cost in ads: 300.000 COP
- Logistic costs
- Prizes shipping: 20.000 COP x 3 = 60.000 COP (the other prizes are virtual, so are not shipped)
- Extra margin (bank fees, other unknown expenses): 50.000 COP
- Total logistic costs: 110.000 COP
- 1.870.000 COP (598.685 USD)
- Wikimedia Shop Memorabilia
These items will be used in diverse ways: sent along the other prizes to the winners of the main contest, given to juries and organizers as appreciation tokens, used as incentives (prizes for superior participation) when developing small activities within the contest (such as photo-walks). Items that remain after the contest will be used by the group when developing activities in the future for recognizing outstanding participation or contributions.
Please note that, if possible, we would prefer to simply receive the items instead of receiving the money for buying them. I believe that way should be cheaper, too. We didn't include this in the grant cost because of that reason, but if necessary, we can update everything to include it.
- 3 packs of Wikimedia project lapel pins - 35 USD x 3 = 105 USD
- 10 Wikipedia language water bottle - 15 USD x 10 = 150 USD
- 3 packs of "Citation Needed" Plantable Pencils - 10 USD x 3 = 30 USD
- 10 men shirts, 10 women shirts - 25 USD x 20 = 500 USD
- Total cost in memorabilia: 785 USD
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!