Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikimedians of Cameroon User Group/Wikidata Editathon 2018 (Buea)
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors +++
- Increase skills for existing editors +
- Add or improve content +++
- Introduce volunteers to APIs to be used for up-coming projects ++++
- Planning and discussion on potential project ideas selected by the Affiliate committee and organizers +++
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- 2nd of March (Introduction and working on Wikiata)
- 3rd of March (Working on Wikidata/Commons)
- 10th of March (Working on English Wikipedia/discussing ideas on projects)
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- All main communication will be done through the affiliate's WhatsApp group and with a mailing list. Announcements on Wikimedians of Cameroon User Group Facebook page is also on our minds (not forgetting all other social media).
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Geugeor (Douala) experimented in Wikipedia edition especially on fr.wikipedia where he participated to organize the Wiki Love Women writing contest early 2016.
- Alangi Derick (Buea) Volunteer Wikimedia Developer and Editor with Wikidata and Commons.
- Egbe Eugene (Buea) Wikidata Editor and Volunteer MediaWiki (and extensions) Developer contributor.
- Perside Rosalie (Douala) Volunteer MediaWiki (and extensions) Developer contributor.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Each session is intended to begin with a very brief but precise mini-session on the Wikimedia movement and the concerned Wikimedia projects. During the event session itself the beginners will have to follow as much as they can from the experienced contributors.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- The expectation to be able organizing regular hackathons and meetings with respect to launching the affiliates projects which will always leave the volunteers with something to get their hands on.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- Editathons events were already organized in many towns in Cameroon but none of such has been done yet in Buea. This event in Buea is mainly to make cause the developer sommunity to be introduced on how their co-volunteers in the other regions input data into Wikipedia projects and also show them how not only they can add the data but access the data and write applications to enhance these projects and help other volunteers add knowledge on the Wikis.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Success will be in terms of the number of newbies able to add facts to Wikidata which will be used on upcoming projects. Also, in line with the developers workshop previously organized, letting the newbies understand what idea to develop, they must understand how the various projects are used.
- Within the next three(3) to six(6) months, these newbies should be able to use the knowledge acquired from both workshops (that is, this series of events and Developers Workshop in Buea) in order to the projects the community will craft out for next year.
- In addition to the above main goals other secondary success criteria have been considered as well as shown below:
- Number of events: 3 (3 days)
- Number of participants:45
- Number of new editors: we will end up with up to 40 new editors as almost the entire community is not made up of editors
- Number of of articles created or improved: 3 - 5
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): about 60%
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The team of experienced editors is ready, very well prepared and highly actuated!
- Like the previous event, volunteers will come along with their personal computers and those without a computer will work with the experienced editors closely by using their laptops.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Hall (with electricity, chairs and tables: 200,000 FR CFA per day) for 3 days : 600,000 FR CFA
- 3G/4G internet connectivity (Orange and/or MTN: 33,300 FR CFA per day) for 3 days : 100,000 FR CFA
- Food and entertainment (50,000 per day) for 3 days: 150,000 FR CFA
- Transportation (2 editors + 2 organizers + 1 other experienced editors + participant support for transportation) for 3 days : 150,000 FR CFA
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!