Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikimedians of Cameroon User Group/Wiki Loves Earth 2019 in Cameroon
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
- Wiki Loves Earth Cameroon 2019
- Increasing number of freely licensed images of preserved areas and natural monuments in Cameroon;
- Raising awareness of nature protection through the photographs uploaded during the competition;
- Improving the quality of the content on Wikimedia projects by providing images to the articles;
- Creating and improving existing articles in Wikipedia by providing pictures;
- Raising awareness of free licences among photographers in Cameroon;
- Recruiting new contributors to Wikimedia Commons;
- Increasing local media coverage about Wikimedia projects.
- Engage existing editors
- Consolidate collaboration with Cameroon photographers
- Extend the impact of the project to other localities in Cameroon
- Train photographers and increase photos on a specific theme
- Presentation of the contest : Communication on social networks and others : Upon validation of the grant
- Uploads session : 3 events
- 1 closing ceremony with team and celebration of local winners
- Photo exhibition (15 images) at Douala
- Post contest integration edit-a-thon : 1 event to be held in early August
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community? National parks, reserves and zoos
- The main goal of this contest consists on taking pictures of national parks, reserves, zoos in Cameroon and uploading them to Wikimedia Commons.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- This is the 3rd edition of the contest in Cameroon in addition to the network built during previous photo contests and activities related to Wikipedia
- Creation of posters, T-shirts and flyers.
- Develop a media coverage
- The contact with the media and social networks created during previous competitions
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- A jury will be in charge of ranking. Award prizes are detailed here
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- Measures of success for WLE
- More than 250 photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons
- 25 participants uploading a photo
- 15 newly registered participants
- 15% distinct photos used in Wikipedia articles
- Measures of success for WLE article contest
- 10 users participating
- 15 articles illustrated
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- 2 regions : Buea and Maroua (North Cameroon)
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Geugeor (organizing, promotion)
- Charlotte Pelagie
- Nicolas Eyidi (Jury, partnerships)
- Justin Zanou (Jury, partnerships)
- Hako Hankson (Jury, partnerships)
- Fondation Orange could support participant training and some details (roll up, poster, flyers, press transports,…)
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
We are willing to spend it according to this plan:
|Wiki Loves Earth 2019|
|Awards for participants||1 appareil photo Nikon D3200 = 250 000|
|Gifts for jury members||Gift vouchers = 45 000|
|WLE photo expedition (2 regions)||50 000|
|Transport of volunteers||100 000|
|Session in Maroua and Buea||100 000|
|Phone credit||25 000|
|5 volunteers Tee-shirts||15 000|
|Award ceremony and exposition||100 000|
|Upload session||75 000|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Support Cameroon started WLE two years ago and significantly improved since. The local team gained significant experience and presented a solid plan to achieve good results. This proposal includes many positive points, including outreach and an article contest. Partnership with Fondation Orange is another strong point — NickK (talk) 14:21, 7 May 2019 (UTC)