Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikimedians of Benin User Group/Wiki Loves Earth 2020 in Benin
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add more images about the natural heritage in Benin country and improve articles by integrating these images in their related articles or creating articles for non existing articles on occupations in our country.
- Recruit and train new editors through the various upload sessions and edit-a-thons live.
- Add freely licensed, and quality images of natural heritages of Benin to Wikimedia Commons.
- Engage existing editors to contribute to Commons and other sister projects through online sessions .
- Create new articles for images collected
- July Running the contest and Online edit-a-thons to include images at Wikimedia communities;;
- August Select winners of local contest;
- September , contact the winners;
- october Sending of prizes and attestation to the winners via courier and Activity Report
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have eliminated face-to-face problems in most of our activities. we have also eliminated photo expeditions because we do not yet know when the parks will be open to the public again, as several parks and national parks are already closed.
- Workshop about the events and how to participate Online
- Upload sessions Online
- Training sessions Online
- Post contest integration edit-a-thon Online
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- We will inform existing members through the Benese groups and associations mailing list, and members will be advised to share the information within their social circles.
- The Twitter and Facebook accounts of the group will be used to invite the public to participate in the contest. Our social media platforms will also be constantly used to talk about the project and the activities going on.
- Marketing flyers will also be printed, in order to get people to participate and to attend the workshops Online.
- Some local radio and television could also be involved
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- Jury will compose of 4 members with different expertise; people from the Wikimedia community and well-known photographers will be invited to join the jury team. internet packages. it is not a cash prize
The jury will determine the winners of the local and international contest taking into the consideration the following criteria:
- Technical quality (sharpness, use of light, perspective etc.);
- Originality and creativity;
- Potential usefulness and overall value of the image (including its licensing) to the Wikimedia projects
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- we will avoid taking photos during this competition because it is recommended to limit the depalcement in the country in the sanitary cordon defined in the countries or to stay at home until further notice. We can hope to count on those who hold old photographs with them and we will not be responsible for photos taken during the contest period.
- We will have editions to help integrate some of these uploaded images into existing Wikipedia articles. We can also create new articles based on these images in the a-thon editions related to reserves, mountains, conservation areas, forests, ponds, lakes, rivers, waterfalls and caves of Benin at Wikimedia Common. All this will be done online sessions to stay in line with current health recommendations related to the covid 19 pandemic
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants: 20
- 15 newly registered participants
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: 400
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: 50
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- We estimate that we will have less participation this year and less contributions and we hope to ask for more for nettles photo when the sanitary situation will calm down
- Benin Wikipedia- Discussion link]
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The contest is organized by the Members of our User group from Benin, the voluntary work of the members
- We are searching sponsors to cover other Training sessions Online etc.)
- Professional and amateur photographers who helped us as in previous competitions
- Our team has accumulated capital experience in the organization of these events including the, Wiki Loves Earth 2019, Wiki Loves Monuments 2019, Wiki Loves Africa 2019 and 2020, WikiProject AfroCine Benin 2019 and many other projects with very good results inconclusive
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- 1,200 USD
Below you can find the estimated project budget for the planning and execution of the Wiki Loves Earth 2020 in Benin on the basis of Event, outreach and prize distribution.
|Item Description||No. of Units||Unit Price||Total Costs||Notes||Observations|
|Main Prize||3||400 USD||400 USD||Prize bond for Top 3 Photos. It is prize bonds or gift items equivalent to respective amount. Not a cash prize (First, Second, Third)||Gift cards will be awarded to the three best photographs (1st prize:180.USD, 2nd prize: 145 USD and 3rd prize: 75 USD|
|Forfait internet expenses Team Member||6||10 USD||60 USD||Forfait internet expenses (Team Member)||The team members will use Internet packages for their online intervention (uploading and downloading of images, etc.)....|
|Forfait internet expenses for jury members||5||30 USD||150 USD||Forfait internet (for jury members)||The members of the jury will use internet packages for the online selection of images (download and upload of images etc)...|
|WLE T-shirts||6 (Team Member)||10 USD||60 USD||WLE T-shirts for team members||WLE T-shirts for team members only (T-shirts will be worn by team members during online sessions)|
|Printing of posters of top 10 photographs||10||26 USD||260 USD||Flex print, Stationery||The ten winners will each receive a poster of their photo with the official logo of the competition. the Ten best photos will also be exposed online on the Wikimédiens du Bénin User Group facebook page, twitter and instagram accounts. 260 (10 x 26 USD) for 50x75 cm posters|
|Meetup on line, live communication Advertising Facebook ads||1||200 USD||200 USD||For the discussion among the volunteers and communication expenses. Internet will also be used during online events||Internet packages will be used for the advertising campaign in the online press and on social networks throughout the competition period.|
|Postage costs and various prices||10||7 USD||70 USD||Sending posters and different prices||The posters and the various prices will be sent either by post or by people who will be responsible for that|
|Total cost of project||1200 USD (1 USD = 590,00 Franc CFA as of 24 April 2020)|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!