Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- Through this event, the number of user accounts on https://www.mediawiki.org will increase and the important part is that we will get users from Cameroon.
- This event will also bring in new developers and writers into the Wikimedia foundation hence increasing the number of volunteers in the foundation.
- Making people aware of the movement is a means in which even more people will be aware since the information will go round and awareness of Wikimedia in Cameroon will improve.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- We will spend time looking for space for the workshop and setting it up, making provisions for Internet connectivity and snacks (food and drinks). We will also spend time coming up with the plan for the workshop, inform the other community developers and students around our region and guide/follow-up the newbies in order to make sure they are doing the right things. We will be responsible to run the event and guide them during the activities.
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- For now, this event has not yet been made public but the intended media that will be used for communicating this information will be; Meta-Wik page, Facebook, Twitter, Email etc.
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- For new volunteer developers, there are many opportunities for them, we will follow them up to prepare for programs like GSoC and Outreachy and also encourage them to contribute to Wikimedia projects and also why not, we can start a project here in Cameroon and get them to work on it.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of total participants = 40
- Intend to have at lease 6 - 10 active contributors in Wikimedia like myself (Alangi Derick) who are ready to push the activities of the Wikimedia community here in Cameroon.
- If we can complete the Gerrit Tutorials and build a simple example extension using https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Developing_extensions.
- Having 2 - 3 new GSoCers from Cameroon do participate in the Wikimedia Foundation and also have at least 1 female GSoCer and/or Outreacher under the Wikimedia Foundation to work on projects.
- Increase on the number of MediaWiki contributors in Cameroon and get more mentors from Cameroon to help mentor folks during the GCI program 2017.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- For now, we don't have any resources. Wikimedia Germany has promised to send us Swags that we will use for the event. The event organisers are; Alangi Derick, Fonji Fonkeng Rocard and Melvis Moba R, Egbe Eugene and Epole Melanie. Rocard, Derick and Eugene will train newbies to setup MediaWiki on their local environment. Before the events, together will will make provision for snacks, space and internet connectivity. Melvis and Melanie including other volunteer organizers (if any) will assist in the provision of snacks, food etc. They will also be responsible for control of attendees to what they will be doing (other environmental activities) around the place (workshop space).
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense: Since its a 1 full day event, we plan 2 food sessions and we think about 50 audience will be available so below will be the budget for the various resources we need.
- Food and Drinks (and snacks) - 500frs x 2session = 1000frs/per person session, 1000frs x 40persons = 40,000frs.
- Space for Audience (Hall with available; Electricity, Chairs and Tables) - 40,000frs.
- Internet connectivity - 25,000frs for Unlimited Data plan in MTN
- Swags such as stickers, pencils, notebooks. - Some available from Wikimedia DE (thanks for their support)
- Transportation during planning of the event - 10000frs x 5 organizers = 50,000frs
- Total = 155, 000frs CFA
- Organizer Developers setup MediaWiki environments locally, negotiate and arrange for space, food and drink and internet connectivity for the event. Alangi derick (talk) 15:01, 3 November 2016 (UTC)
- Volunteer As an organizer and event coordinator Rocardho (talk) 13:18, 15 November 2016 (UTC)
- Volunteer As an organizer and facilitator for the newbies Eugene233 (talk) 21:06, 15 November 2016 (UTC)
- Volunteer As an organizer and facilitator in the VisualEditor team. Will be guiding people interested in writing articles and publishing on Wikipedia. Epole M (talk) 12:25, 18 November 2016 (UTC)
- Volunteer As an organizer and facilitator in the VisualEditor team. Will be guiding people interested in writing articles and publishing on Wikipedia. Moba melvis (talk) 15:06, 23 November 2016 (UTC)
- Volunteer As an organizer and facilitator in the VisualEditor team. Will be guiding people interested in writing articles and publishing on Wikipedia. r054l13 (talk) 13:11, 2 June 2017 (UTC)