Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikimedia User Group Nigeria/ “SHE CAN with ICT”/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
- We met some of our goals but we are not really happy with how the project went. The project was supposed to kicked off in September 2016 but we couldn't start until May 2017. This is demoralizing and there is nothing we could do since this is done in partnership with The Women's Technology and Empowerment Centre (W-TECH) who keep postponing the projects.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|If 6 training are organized||6 training session were organized||This outcome was achieved|
|If at least 100 people participate||24 people participated||Our outcome was not achieved and this is predominately due to poor project management by our partners who was to ensure the participation of the students.|
|If at least 20 new editors are recruited||5 new editors were recruited||Many of the participants complains that exams and projects work will not allow that to edit Wikipedia. Sometimes when they are giving a Wikipedia assignment to do, they don't do it. However, we are proud of the contribution of one of the editors User:Cupid04 who created the article Isoken and User: Projecto Jaytee who created the article w:Industreet. Both users have not edited Wikipedia in the last 2 months, both user said they won't be active until they completed their project work.|
|if at least 100 new articles are created or improved||Three articles were created||This is due to poor participation of the students|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- The readiness of our community members to support the participant is something that worked well.
- Space for training, and facilities also worked well
- What did not work so well?
- The project timeline does not work well. Regrettably, the incessant change of project date and poor project management by our partner, WTEC is something that impeded the success of the project. This happened for many reasons and one of the reasons is because we do not have direct access to the school management. Thus, there is limit to which we could influence decisions and the overall project design.
- What would you do differently next time?
- Our inability to have direct access to all partners including the management of the University of Lagos, Intel is a major set back in this project. Next time, we will ensure to be part of the decision makers. At least, have a direct access to all partners.
Anything else you want to share about your project?
Workshop; The workshop began on 18th May 2017 and ended on the 21st August 2017 at en:University of Lagos. Participants were trained on the basis of editing Wikipedia. They were introduced to basic contents policies and guidelines such as the five pillars of Wikipedia, the notability guidelines, copyright, Biographies of Living Persons and image use policy.
On the last day of the events, participants were trained on how to contribute to Wikimedia Commons. After the training, they embarked on on-campus photo tours and participants were encouraged to upload the images as "Own work". Some of the images uploaded by the students are in the image gallery below.
Participants were assigned to three groups under the mentorship of experienced Wikipedians. This mentorship process is ongoing and would last for three weeks. The participants activities can be found on this dashboard.
Grant funds spentEdit
|Item(s)||Number||Unit price||Total NGN||Total USD||Notes|
|Transport||3||20000||60000||188.10||Not receipted but recipient signed for the money received|
|Certificate of participation||30||550||Not provided , fund to be returned to the foundation|
|Food||12||12000||144000||452||Not receipted but recipient signed for the money received|
|Phone Calls and local travels||31800||100|
- Total cost of project
1809.20 USD / 592300 NGN
Do you have any remaining grant funds?